countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store Tools sports

3.0 out of 5 stars An Introduction to User Interface Design, July 30 2003
This review is from: The Elements of User Experience: User-Centered Design for the Web (Paperback)
The book is an introduction text to the field of user interface design.
What I found useful in the book is thinking about the user interface as a number of layers and this reminds me of the layer approach used when explaining communication technologies. I've been using a simpler 3 layer model to communicate what is a user interface to non-professionals and that works.
However, even knowing that a user interface contains several layers does not help you build a user interface. From my experience, building user interfaces requires synthesis. This is where I found this book lacking, it tells you about the required parts but unfortunately doesn't really help tell you how to put them together. Using a cooking analogy, you have the ingredients for the meal but you are missing the quantities and cooking times.
Therefore this book is great to understand what a user interface but it is of limited help to build a user interface.

Customer Discussions

We're sorry, this discussion has been removed.

Return to the Amazon home page