3.0 out of 5 stars A complete departure stylistically, yet worth reading, Aug. 19 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Dune Messiah (Mass Market Paperback)
I put this book down the first time I attempted to read it simply because the first book had such a triumphant ending that the dark nature of 'Dune Messiah' just didn't work for me. I had attempted to read this book just having completed the first one. My second attempt came two months later and this time I read it entirely in a matter of days. I'm glad I did. 'Dune' is an epic in every sense of the word. 'Dune Messiah' is anything but an epic. It is a singular story dealing mostly with the inherent problems of religion and politics becoming one. Paul struggles with the consequenses of the jihad yet feels powerless to stop it. He is nothing more than a figurehead to his Qizara and wants to be free of this and the burden of prescience. I don't wish to give anything away but this book is worth reading if only for the fantastic ending. And by the way, 'Children of Dune' is a return to the epic style with which 'Dune' was written.

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (984 customer reviews)

CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 9.49