5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reference, not as scary as it's made out to be, Jan. 13 2010
This review is from: What to Expect When You're Expecting: 4th Edition (Paperback)
First off, this is not a cover-to-cover read. That's common to the three pregnancy/parenting I currently own (including The Pregnancy Bible: Your Complete Guide to Pregnancy and Early Parenthood and Parenting For Dummies). Don't expect to find everything within pregnancy reference books to be relevant to your case.

That said, I noticed that a lot of reviews of this book were somewhat negative of the way that the information was presented. Specifically, most reviews I read here stated that this book raised anxieties about how the expectant mother was somehow permanently damaging her unborn child by doing common day-to-day activities. I found nothing in this reference book which said that anything I, or any other expectant mother, was doing was definitely causing harm to her fetus. One thing that this book makes very clear is that there are numerous possible risk factors involved when a fetus is developing, but that there's very little concrete evidence that any particular behaviour (obviously, smoking and drinking are highly discouraged) causes abnormalities. If the risk behaviours which this book raises are taken strictly as guidelines for how to keep a fetus healthy as it develops, there's nothing in here to cause an expectant mother anxiety.

So I personally found this the most useful pregnancy reference book I own, and have given it five stars. It delves a lot into fetal development, how to keep yourself and the baby healthy, and how pregnancy progresses. I thought it was great and plan on recommending it to the other expectant moms in my life.

Review Details

Item

3.6 out of 5 stars (37 customer reviews)

CDN$ 18.95 CDN$ 13.68