5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT ... AS USUAL!, Feb. 10 2009
This review is from: Swallowing Darkness: A Novel (Mass Market Paperback)
I need to balance the ratio of previews with 5 stars.

I liked it A LOT!

I understand some frustrations since I have mine as well (the too quick sudden return of Frost... wished it was a bit more detailed)... but overall I really enjoyed the book and this will certainely not stop me to buy and read and re-read the serie again and again!

If you read LKH blog [...] you will understand that this book was the end of the gentry story with the love of her 6 men.

However... this is a new biginning for the next books who will follow this one.

LKH says (blog February 5th 2009):

I heard from my Merry editor today, and we'll be seeing the cover mock-up for Merry #8 DIVINE MISDEMEANORS tomorrow. And yes, for those who keep asking, it is the next Merry book, and not a new series, and no, you are not getting two Anita books in one year. I'm good, and I'm fast, but I'm not that good, or that fast. Greedy people. I'm looking forward to this book, because it's the first time I've ever allowed myself to simply play in Merry's world. We're no longer tied to the storyline that was our impetus for the first seven books. I thought it would be such a cool idea to have a plot that carried over from book to book and built to that overwhelming conclusion. It was cool, but as a writer, it was also restrictive. I couldn't go off and explore Merry's world the way I could with Anita. The over all plot was so important to her staying alive, that there was little room for detours. This book, DIVINE MISDEMEANORS is the first time I get to play. If I want to go play with the demi-fey; I can. If I want to play with long time Los Angeles fey exiles; I can. If I want to concentrate on Merry and her guys; I can. If I want it to be mostly about Jeremy and the Grey's Detective Agency; it will be. See, the world suddenly opens up, and we can go where we want, play with whom we want, and not have to be tied to a specific goal. I can play. I've promised to never, ever, tie another series, to a specific end, and plot, for books and books. The exception to that rule will be if I ever go back and finish the series that began with NIGHTSEER. That is a four books series with a definite end; no changing that. But that's okay, four books I can manage, but seven made me chaff. I feel like I can finally take a breath in Merry's world, too.

Review Details

Item

3.0 out of 5 stars (5 customer reviews)

CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.92