5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful excursion beyond conventional boundaries, July 1 2010
This review is from: Leave Your Sleep (Audio CD)
I love this recording. It's a work of genius, without pretension, melodic, rhythmic entertaining and wise.

I came late to Natalie Merchant. Although I was vaguely aware of 10,000 Maniacs I never really paid attention; my first of her CDs was House Carpenter's Daughter, a reworking of traditional folk song. I've since bought the catalog, but nothing has given me the pleasure of Leave Your Sleep.

My impression of this recording is of an artist at the peak of her powers, newly experiencing life through her child, crafting a response to that new experience that draws confidently on her intrinsic talent and years of experience. Word-play abounds, wisdom illuminates.

One of my favorite titles is the last song on the first disk, The Blind Men and the Elephant. This is an old folk theme, illustrating the truth that we all have access to part of the truth, but only part -- witty and wise, and wonderfully sung, and the instrumental rave-up at the end is a delight (winds and horns mainly).

It's just great that Ms. Merchant has not felt constrained by those of her fans who would have her repeat herself endlessly. Being challenged is good, and I can only hope that her fans are up to this particularly tasty challenge.

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (4 customer reviews)

Reviewer