- Shipping Weight: 2.1 Kg
- Item model number: 1215P-MU17-BK
- ASIN: B004I3ZTPG
- Date first available at Amazon.ca: Feb. 3 2011
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #625,153 in Electronics (See Top 100 in Electronics)
ASUS Eee PC Seashell 1215P-MU17-BK 12.1-Inch Netbook (Black)
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- 12.1-Inch WXGA (1366x768)
- N550 Dual Core
- 1GB DDR3
- Intel UMA
- 250G 5400rpm
There is a newer model of this item:
1215P-MU17-BK,Black,12.1 WXGA (1366x768),N550 (1.50Ghz) Dual Core,1GB DDR3,Intel UMA,250G 5400,No ODD,W7 Home Premium (32 bit),802.11BGN,0.3M Pixel,No BT,47W/h(Up to 8 Hrs),500GB Internet Storage,1 Year Global Warranty, (6 months for batte
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
- Solid as a rock. Not a hiccup with any software loads or at any time. Stable, stable, stable.
- Very configurable with the intel atom n550 dual core processor
- Never gets hots even when running all day, with lots of work
- Keyboard is firm and feels good to the touch, even for a netbook
- Light and small enough to be very convenient, but the keyboard and screen are large enough for word processing, spreadsheets and just about any app, not just browsing the net. Comfortable typing
- Battery life is easily 8 hours, and if configured properly, would probably go longer
- Display is bright, crisp, easy to read even at 50%
- Touch pad is typical netbook junk. Get a portable laser mouse.
The N550 only supports 2 gigs of RAM, but the RAM monitor (even with page file off) indicates only 35% usage. Who needs more RAM?
The power plug is tiny, but I've never seen or heard of this type breaking as some reviewers worry. It's perfect for this product, and won't just fall out or wear out like some connectors, such as my old Dell.
For $370, it would be great to keep another 1215P Seashell on the shelf like a second good pair of shoes, but that isn't practical given how soon electronics get outdated.
We tried out Hulu, abc.com, netflix, and she uses a few interactive school programs online. All videos play just fine. The hard drive is huge.
If you use the little program in the control panel section that rates and compares the computer with others, it gets a 3 on a score of 1-7.9. 1 is the slowest and 7.9 is the fastest. 3 is the lowest score given that is considered fast enough to run all components of Windows 7 and allow for decent movie playing. That's all we need. If you need a faster computer for high end gaming it probably wouldn't be your machine.
Battery life is around 5 hrs, video resolution is quite good. Easy to take to school and all around work horse.
This Netbook comes loaded with a full version of Windows 7 Home Premium (not Starter like many of the low cost netbooks). It has 3 USB ports, a VGA port, Ethernet Port, Speaker out and Mic in. It has a built in webcam which works great with Skype even in low light. Another nice feature is that there is a built in shutter in front of the webcam. Just slide the switch over and the webcam lens is physically blocked. UPDATE: One Caveat- This Netbook only accepts a maximum of 2GB RAM. There are 2 RAM slots, so your best bet if you upgrade your memory is to buy 1 additional 1GB RAM stick. Otherwise, if you buy a 2GB RAM module, you will pay more and be stuck with a useless 1GB stick.
ASUS makes a great product at a great price, and does not handcuff you when you want to upgrade. Top it off with great customer support, and we have a winner!
Since I intend to do a lot of note taking, the keyboard is extremely important to me. I LOOOVE this keyboard. It's slightly jumpy, which makes for a really easy typing job. I had no problem switching for my Imac keyboard to this one- they're very similar in style.
I've installed iTunes, MS Office 2010, Skype, Photos Ps Pro, and the computer can handle all of them side by side with no decrease in speed. I Still use my imac for bigger downloads or to store my pictures and big files. But overall i'm very happy with the speed.
Size and weight- I find it very light and portable. I'm sure I'll be taking it for trips, short or long.
Overall I'm extremely pleased. I'm not too knowledgeable about computers so the specs don't mean much to me, but my user experience so far has been excellent. I hope this review helps if you're someone who needs a relatively fast, easy going,practical computer.
btw- I really like the red ("cranberry") color. I was a little put off by the pic, but it's very handsome in real life!