The Acoustic World of Early Modern England: Attending to the O-Factor Hardcover – May 1 1999
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From Library Journal
Smith (English, Georgetown Univ.) offers a provocative evocation of the world of sound in Shakespeare's England. Drawing on a wide range of primary sources as well as insights from aspects of modern scholarship as diverse as cultural studies and anatomy, Smith delineates a picture of the soundscapes and soundmarks of that place and time and their cultural significance. The study is divided into three sections: "Around" (setting the stage and mapping the field), "Within" (focusing on the various sounds of performance, voice, music, and dance), and "Beyond" (stepping beyond England to examine contemporary reactions to other cultures and their soundscapes). This phenomenology of sound will be of interest to specialists in early theater, music history, and early modern English culture.AAbigail Ann Young, Univ. of Toronto
Copyright 1999 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to the Paperback edition.
About the Author
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
But, as the title indicates, he also pays close attention to the acoustics. These refer to the physical environments in which the ballads and plays might and probably were read. Including naturally the immortal Globe Theatre in London. So we see the floor plan of the Globe, and speculation as to how this would have affected the listening experience of the audience. The reader should remember that back then, there were no modern special effects. So the pure performance visuals and acoustics were probably more important and stressed, for what else did they have?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Arts & Photography > Performing Arts > Theatre
- Books > History > Europe > England
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Performing Arts > Theatre
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Pop Culture
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Drama
- Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > Criticism & Theory
- Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > Movements & Periods > Renaissance
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Popular Culture
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Physics > Acoustics & Sound
- Books > Science & Math > Physics > Acoustics & Sound