Advanced PHP for Web Professionals Paperback – Oct 29 2002
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the Inside Flap
PrefaceGoal of This Book
The goal of this book is to help you get a better grasp of PHP, to learn some of the less commonly used features, and to help you build some applications that are useful in your work or hobbies. I hope it gives you some ideas on how to make your own applications easier to code and easier to use.Who This Book Is For
This book is for those who have done some basic PHP programming and wish to learn about some of the more advanced techniques to make applications easier to use and easier to program.
I received many emails from across the globe from readers of my first book, Essential PHP for Web Professionals (also published by Prentice Hall), who liked the concise style and ample examples I had provided. I received literally dozens of emails from people who said they had read other PHP programming books, but they didn’t really grasp how PHP worked until they read my book. I can’t tell you how happy that makes me feel. I hope to do the same with this book.
This book is for those of you who are ready to take the next step and learn a little more about PHP. This book isn’t a reference book, nor does it cover every advanced aspect of PHP. It does, however, stretch beyond the basics and introduce some more concepts that can help you with your PHP programming.
From the Back Cover
- Build complex, PHP-driven Web sitesfast!
- Discover powerful new PHP techniques, hands on!
- Learn all-new techniques based on PHP-GTK and PEAR::DB
- Master XML parsing, user authentication, forms processing, data mining, and much more
Take your PHP programming skills to the next level!
In this concise, hands-on tutorial, PHP expert Christopher Cosentino delivers dozens of powerful new techniques for building serious Web applications. Through professional-quality examples drawn from his six years as a PHP developer, Cosentino walks you through building friendlier, more usable sites; improving user authentication; generating dynamic graphics; parsing XML documents; building database-independent Web applications; and much more!
Take PHP to the limit... and beyond!
- Manage sessions more effectively
- Interact with multiple databases via PEAR::DB
- Improve your form processing scripts
- Parse large files and perform data mining
- Authenticate users by IP address, database query, or HTTP authentication
- Create custom error handlers
- Dump database contents into XML files
- Use PHP-GTK to build client-side cross-platform GUI applications
- And more...
Top Customer Reviews
A real treasure for me.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
If you're moving from, say, HTML development into PHP, I would actually recommend this. It covers a nice range of topics - certainly pointing you in the right direction for PHP development.
If you want a good solid reference for the best way to do particular 'advanced' applications - maybe not.
My copy was printed with the cover on the wrong side - so having to read it backwards made it tricky. But I'm left-handed, so I'm used to it.
A real treasure for me.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Internet & Social Media
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Networks, Protocols & APIs
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Languages & Tools
- Books > Computers & Technology > Software
- Books > Computers & Technology > Web Development > Programming > PHP
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Computers & Internet
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Programming Languages