An Alternative Path: The Making and Remaking of Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital Paperback – May 1 1998
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
When Hahnemann Medical College was founded in Philadelphia in 1848, it was the only institution in the world to offer an M.D. degree in homeopathy, a therapeutic and intellectual alternative to orthodox medicine. This institutional history situates Hahnemann in the broader context of American social change and chronicles its continual remaking in response to the rise of corporate medicine and demographic changes in the Philadelphia community. Like many other American medical schools, Hahnemann has had its share of problems, financial and otherwise. The civil rights and radical student movements of the 1960s and 1970s, however, pushed the College into a more politically conscious view of itself as a health care provider to the inner city and as a producer of health professionals. In 1993, the College merged with another Philadelphia medical school into a single health care and training institution called the Allegheny University of the Health Sciences. Although Hahnemann is now part of a new system of academic medicine, its institutional legacy endures, as it has in the past, by following alternative paths.
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Alternative Medicine > Homeopathy
- Books > History > Americas > United States
- Books > History > United States
- Books > Medical Books > Alternative & Holistic > Holistic Medicine
- Books > Medical Books > History
- Books > Medical Books > Medicine > Reference > Education & Training
- Books > Science & Math > Education
- Books > Science & Math > History & Philosophy > History of Medicine
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine > Alternative & Holistic > Holistic Medicine
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine > Education & Training