American Standards of Living: 1918-1988 Hardcover – Feb 21 1995
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
Clair Brown's original research draws on a number of previously virtually untapped sources of data, including reports compiled over decades by the Bureau of Labour Statistics, to present a vivid and extremely detailed picture of the daily lives of working and middle class American families from the end of World War I to the nineteen eighties.
Brown's argument is that there is in effect a revolution of rising expectations: as families experience an improvement in their material well-being she clearly documents how they begin to aspire to the consumption preferences of the next higher class. These changes in consumption patterns have wide ranging impacts on the surrounding economy, including women's participation in the labour force and the growth of service industries.
The major findings of the book is that American living standards have not been falling and are higher, even for those in poverty, than is generally acknowledged. this book will add to the discussion about how much the US can expect living standards to increase for the next generation in a globalized economy.
About the Author
Professor of Economics at the Institute of Industrial Relations, University of California, Berkeley.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business & Investing > Economics > Development & Growth
- Books > Business & Investing > Economics > Economic Policy & Development
- Books > Business & Investing > Economics > Macroeconomics
- Books > Business & Investing > Popular Economics > Policy & Current Events
- Books > Professional & Technical > Accounting & Finance > Economics > Development & Growth
- Books > Professional & Technical > Accounting & Finance > Economics > Economic Policy & Development
- Books > Professional & Technical > Accounting & Finance > Economics > Macroeconomics
- Books > Textbooks > Business & Finance > Business Development
- Books > Textbooks > Business & Finance > Economics > Macroeconomics