Among the Pilgrims: Journeys to Santiago De Compostela Paperback – Jan 2004
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
Mary Victoria Wallis has a PhD in English Literature, and a Master of Health Science. She has been a university professor and teacher for nurses, medical students, literature students, and health care professionals, and has conducted workshops on communication and spirituality in the care of the sick and dying. Nowadays, she earns her daily bread in Hospice and Palliative Care, where she combines her interest in the scientific and clinical with an inquiry into experiences of people at the far end of their lives. She maintains a keen interest in English literature, medieval European culture, and the spiritual traditions of both East and the West. She is a longtime practitioner of Buddhist meditation. Mary is an avid canoeist, touring and backcountry cyclist, sea kayaker and hiker. She has travelled throughout Europe, the Middle East and Latin America, and has lived and worked in Nigeria and Uruguay. She is Canadian and lives as a "resident alien" - something akin to a pilgrim - in the United States.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
While she gives a lot of time to her problems with Christian faith, her Buddhist background substitutes in an interesting way and provides spiritual depth to her narrative. Her first Camino by bike with her husband turned into a second, solitary Camino the following year. She clearly was hooked and spends much of the book putting words to the spirituality of the 500-mile walk.
This is a good read, particularly for people open to Buddhist spirituality or deeply interested in Medieval Spanish history.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Holidays
- Books > History > Americas > United States
- Books > History > Europe > England
- Books > History > Europe > Ireland > Medieval
- Books > History > Europe > Portugal
- Books > History > Europe > Spain
- Books > History > United States
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Sociology > Religion
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Religious Studies > Sociology
- Books > Travel > Europe > Ireland
- Books > Travel > Specialty Travel > Ecotourism