- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Analyzing English in a Global Context: A Reader Paperback – Jan 8 2001
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
'Any serious analysis of the state of the English language in the world today, the best ways to teach it, its evolving nature and cultural impact, must include this book in its bibliography.' - Aidan Hehir, English and Media Magazine
About the Author
Anne Burns is Senior Lecturer in Linguistics at Macquarie University in Sydney, Australia and Associate Director of the National Centre for English Language Teaching and Research. Caroline Coffin is a Lecturer at the Centre for Language and Communication at the Open University in the UK.
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
There are also teachers who are not native speakers of English, so their teaching reaches their students already filtered by a different mind and vocal apparatus.
Another interesting section of this book is the guidance on variants of English and what is or not standard English. It sets boundaries that are very handy when you are in a teaching situation. You cannot simply impose your brand of Englsih to everyone.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education & Reference > Foreign Language Study & Reference > English as a Second Language
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Linguistics
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Study & Teaching
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Linguistics > Applied
- Books > Textbooks > English As a Second Language
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Foreign Languages
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Linguistics