Anxiety and Depression in Children and Adolescents: Assessment, Intervention, and Prevention Hardcover – Apr 24 2012
|New from||Used from|
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
Although generally considered adult disorders, anxiety and depression are widespread among children and adolescents, affecting academic performance, social development, and long-term outcomes. They are also difficult to treat and, especially when they occur in tandem, tend to fly under the diagnostic radar.
Anxiety and Depression in Children and Adolescents offers a developmental psychology perspective for understanding and treating these complex disorders as they manifest in young people. Adding the school environment to well-known developmental contexts such as biology, genetics, social structures, and family, this significant volume provides a rich foundation for study and practice by analyzing the progression of pathology and the critical role of emotion regulation in anxiety disorders, depressive disorders, and in combination. Accurate diagnostic techniques, appropriate intervention methods, and empirically sound prevention strategies are given accessible, clinically relevant coverage. Illustrative case examples and an appendix of forms and checklists help make the book especially useful.
Featured in the text:
- Developmental psychopathology of anxiety, anxiety disorders, depression, and mood disorders.
- Differential diagnosis of the anxiety and depressive disorders.
- Assessment measures for specific conditions.
- Age-appropriate interventions for anxiety and depression, including CBT and pharmacotherapy.
- Multitier school-based intervention and community programs.
- Building resilience through prevention.
Anxiety and Depression in Children and Adolescents is an essential reference for practitioners, researchers, and graduate students in school and clinical child psychology, mental health and school counseling, family therapy, psychiatry, social work, and education.
About the Author
Thomas J. Huberty is Professor of School Psychology at Indiana University. He received his Ph.D. in Educational (School) Psychology from the University of Missouri in 1980. His teaching and research interests are in anxiety and depression, developmental psychopathology, personality assessment, cognitive-behavioral interventions, mental health of children and youth, and special education and mental health law. Professional experiences include working as a psychologist in community mental health, developmental disabilities, pediatric psychology, public schools, and Head Start. He is a licensed psychologist in Indiana, is board certified in School Psychology by the American Board of Professional Psychology, and is a Fellow of the American Academy of School Psychology. In addition, he has been an administrative law judge/independent hearing officer for more than 20 years for due process hearings under the auspices of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. In that role, he has presided over numerous due process hearings and has issued many legally-binding decisions regarding students with special needs.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Psychology & Counseling > Adolescent Psychology
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Psychology & Counseling > Child Psychology > Development
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Psychology & Counseling > Child Psychology > Psychology
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Psychology & Counseling > Psychoanalysis
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Psychology & Counseling > Psychotherapy, TA & NLP
- Books > Medical Books > Medicine > Internal Medicine > Psychiatry
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Social Work
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine > Specialties > Psychiatry
- Books > Textbooks > Education
- Books > Textbooks > Medicine > Medicine > Clinical > Psychiatry
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Psychology > Developmental Psychology
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Psychology > Psychotherapy