Apache Server Bible Paperback – Oct 1998
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From Library Journal
More than 50 percent of all web servers are running on "free" Apache software. The software is very good, and this is exactly the type of book users will need after they have downloaded it and are starting to try to set up their servers. An advanced beginner can use this book and the Apache software to get a server up very quickly. The CD-ROM offers plenty of tools and accessories.
Copyright 1998 Reed Business Information, Inc.
From the Back Cover
"Kabir has done it again! The Apache Server 2 Bible is an invaluable reference for both beginning and experienced administrators." --Elizabeth Zinkann, Sys Admin Magazine Contributing Editor and Review Columnist
* Configure Apache Server for a Linux/Unix or Win32 system
* Leverage Apache using SSI, CGI, PHP, Perl, and Java servlets
* Secure your site using SSL, certificate-signing services, and other tools
If Apache Server 2 can do it, you can do it too . . . Updated for the latest Apache release and packed with real-world examples, this all-in-one reference shows you step by step how to take full advantage of Apache Server - and create a Web site that's fast, secure, and easy to maintain. Bestselling author Mohammed Kabir offers complete guidance on every detail of Apache implementation, from installation and configuration to Web site administration, server-side applications, security, and performance tuning. Whether you're a novice Web administrator or an Apache veteran, this is the only book you need to harness the power of the world's leading Web server.
Inside, You'll Find Complete Coverage of Apache Server 2
* Master source compilation and binary installation
* Customize Apache to match your system
* Create and manage virtual Web sites with Apache
* Monitor server performance with a log analyzer package
* Set up an Apache-based proxy server
* Create a Web cycle involving development, testing, and production systems
* Turbocharge Web interactivity with FastCGI, PHP, Perl, and Java servlets
* Secure Apache with Apache SSL and your own Certificate Authority
* Configure Apache for Win32 systems
* Create a high-availability Web network using Apache
* Apache Web Server
* PHP, Perl, mod_ perl, MySQL, and other open source tools for dynamic Web pages
* OpenSSL and ApacheSSL security software
* Plus all sample code from the book and more --This text refers to an alternate Paperback edition.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Most of the text consists of dry run throughs of various configuration settings - much of which probably came right from the online Apache manual. There were many errors. And, contrary to reviewers who claimed the author was open for questions, when I sent email asking about possible errata, the email was returned with an invalid address. The author's web site is also gone.
I also was unhappy that there was next to nothing about Java servlets and Apache.
The O'Reilly book got so-so reviews, but I can't imagine how it can be worse than this one.
This book does cover some fundamental concepts but provides too few examples (especially in the areas of installation and getting SSL up and running). I had to refer to the website more often than the book.
Good, but not good enough.
If I would understand Regular Expressions better than I do, I actually would have found everything I needed - that's when I sent an email to the author, who answered me first in a meeting break and then again in his lunch break ... wow.
One little thing: I almost would have bought this book in a bookstore before I actually bought it from Amazon. The reason I didn't back then was that it says "Covers Windows 95 and Windows NT Platforms" on the cover - it should read "Covers UNIX/Linux and Windows 95/NT"! The book covers a lot of UNIX!
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Data in the Enterprise > Client-Server Systems
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Internet, Groupware, & Telecommunications
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Networks, Protocols & APIs
- Books > Computers & Technology > Operating Systems > Unix
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming
- Books > Computers & Technology > Software
- Books > Computers & Technology > Web Development > Web Servers > Apache
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering