From the Back Cover
Take your programming expertise to the next level with help from Java programming all-stars Herb Schildt and James Holmes. Together they unlock the secrets that professional programmers use to create world-class software. Inside, Herb and James apply Java to a wide variety of high-powered applications, each demonstrating different features and techniques. Examples range from language interpreters, Web crawlers, and e-mail subsystems to expression parsers, statistical tools, and financial applets. You'll even see how to apply Java to Artificial Intelligence (AI)! Each application can be used as-is, or as a starting point for your own development. From networking to parsing to AI and beyond, this book contains some of the most exciting Java code found anywhere.
- Explore the genius of Java
- Create an expression parser for numeric expressions
- Build a Web crawler
- Design and implement a computer language interpreter
- Develop a complete e-mail subsystem
- Construct a download manager that streamlines downloading files from the Internet
- Develop statistical tools that compute the mean, median, mode, standard deviation, and more
- Create financial applets and servlets that compute the regular payment on a loan, the future value of an investment, an annuity, and more
- Develop AI-based search techniques
- Explore Java's HTML rendering capabilities
About the Author
Herb Schildt (Mahomet, IL) is a leading authority on C and C++ and a best-selling author whose books have sold more than 2 million copies. His acclaimed C and C++ books include Teach Yourself C, C++ from the Ground Up, C++: The Complete Reference, Java Programmer's Reference, STL Programming from the Ground Up, Windows 98 Programming from the Ground Up, and co-author of C/C++ Annotated Archives.