The Awakened One Paperback – Feb 15 2000
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From Library Journal
What makes Buddhist teacher Kohn's book different from a work like E.J. Thomas's The Life of the Buddha (1969) is his lucid way of combining the various early sources he relies on here. The major events in the life of the Buddha from preexistence to his "utter extinction of final nirvana, parinirvana" provide a framework into which Kohn fits many of the Buddha's teachings, which he presents without analysis. A Mahayana view of the Buddha marks Kohn's work, as evidenced by a description of the Buddha's preexistence and his superhuman powers, such as the ability to make others invisible. Though an index would have made the book more useful, it is a splendid combination of biography and instruction. Highly recommended for any library that needs a concise yet thorough presentation of the Buddha's life and teachings.
- David Bourquin, California State Univ., San Bernardino
Copyright 1993 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
"Kohn's masterful blend of the life and teachings of the Buddha renders this book a valuable guide for those who would follow the path of the Awakened One."— Publishers WeeklySee all Product Description
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
The power of this book is that it activates and hooks the passion we all have, no matter how much we rationalize it and try to be practical, to break through: to realize our greatest potential. This is the story of a man who did.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Ethnic & National
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Leaders & Notable People > Religious
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Philosophy > Eastern > Buddhism > History
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Philosophy > Eastern > Buddhism > Sacred Writings
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Buddhism > History
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Buddhism > Sacred Writings