Echo Dot bfdw boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire TV Stick Basic Edition WFM home All-New Kindle Oasis sports tools

on August 27, 2017
As requested
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon September 22, 2014
I was completely surprised by this book. I loved it! This is a fast-paced adventure story about an Indiana Jones-type professor/adventurer who finds ancient artifacts to prove the veracity of Bible stories. This time around, he's hunting for Moses' long-lost bronze serpent; little does he know he's being watched and hunted by a vicious killer.

I found this book very different from the, "Left Behind" books; this is pure adventure with scary scenes that really unnerved me. There is no evangelizing here, although the plot involves the Book of Daniel. I like the author's style of introducing many disparate stories that gradually merge into one.

This story would make a fun movie. I can't wait to get the next book in the series of four. Heartily recommended for those who enjoy exciting stories of danger and violence.
on February 15, 2004
I am all for books that have a viewpoint they wish to forward. Ayn Rand wrote books supporting her pro-individual, anti-goverment philosophy. These books still hold up today and are chilling in their prophecy.
However, neither author is Ayn Rand.
These two "writers" seem so poorly equipped in their task that they don't even know how to use a thesaurus. (EXAMPLE: "It was a place where negativity had no place") It is just lazy to use the same word twice in one sentence, even if it has another meaning.
Now, the story. an intriguing idea. Nothing more. The characters are flat and two dimensional. The good guys are REALLY good and the bad guys are REALLY bad, and the cast of characters is so numerous you can hardly keep up with who is who. It is the lazy kind of bad writing. The authors just tell you things--(EXAMPLE: "Being a man of integrity")-- instead of showing his integrity. Also there is a need for the authors to REPEAT information, thinking that the reader is so stupid he couldn't remember the occurances of two chapters earlier.
I feel sorry if Evangelical Christianity and Biblical Archeaology are only represented by such amateurish drivel. My suggestion to both authors is to read some good writers-- LEARN YOUR CRAFT.
Avoid the book-- "The Red Tent" is a much better read and a more uplifting religious experience.
on June 28, 2004
I was eager to start this book after reading the Left Behind series as I felt LaHaye and Jenkins wrote a good series, even if it was a litte drawn out. I was very disappointed in LaHaye's attempt however. The story line is juvenile, full of holes, and portions of the story are totally inconceivable (e.g. how does a woman who has just been strangled to death at the end of the chapter, later, stumble into a police station interrogation room an collapse in her husband arms?). I haven't even finished the book yet and I'm not sure I'll be able to. A friend of mine said he gave the benefit of the doubt and read the second book in the series and it was written just as poorly. Oh well, I'll have to move on and and search for a decent Christian writer. If anyone can recommend a better Christian series, please let me know.
on February 24, 2004
For me, I always try to find the villain of a story, and see how he or she stacks up as a villain. I do like the hero/heroine of as story, too, but I'm more drawn to the villain, and in this book, the villains are wonderful, as is the hero and the whole story!!!
Michael Murphy is an adventurous and active Archaeology and Bible Prophecy Professor at a small, North Carolina University, who is besieged by a sniveling-yet-influencial Department Chair, a methodical mystery-man named Methuselah (who goads and pricks Murphy's desire to find and retrieve Biblical Artifacts in challenging ways), a media that is out to discredit Evangelical Christianity and a strong desire to search for Archaeological Proof for the Bible. Add to that one devious and vicious villain named Talon, and this book becomes the setting for a great adventure story which is tied to Biblical Prophecy in a strange, new way!
I thought this novel was AWESOME!!! Being a Christian, a student of the Bible, and a lover of all things historical and archaeological, this was one great adventure novel for me! Someone else said it that Murphy isn't Indy Jones. My counter would be that he is the Christian Version of Indy Jones, using well-disciplined work-outs and the bow and arrow to his advantege. Anyone who is a fan of History, Biblical Studies, a follower of Jesus Christ, and loves Adventure WILL enjoy this new series from Tim LaHaye and Greg Dinallo! I can't wait for Book 2, scheduled for release in the Autumn!!!!!!!!!
on January 1, 2004
An OK read overall, but not up to par with Mr. LaHaye's other works. This series has potential, but it needs to fine tune some aspects of the writing. For example:
1) Michael Murphy, our hero, is a real Renaissance man. He's really, really, really smart; he relates well to the kids (in his Biblical archeology class); he's a wonderful husband; buff and tough enough to whup up on a big, nasty, slobbering lion; a dead-eye shot with a compound bow; and blessed with the talent of solving multiple inpenetrable mysteries buried in desert sands for 2,500 years in a single minute. Yes, this Action Hero does everything but sing like his musical namesake (we think).
Any weaknesses? Oh yeah, he's got a thing for risking his life, career and pride at the whim of the mysterious "Methuselah" to gather archeological treasures which could prove events in the Bible really happened. Fortunately, our hero's biggest challenge in the first half of the book is withstanding his Just As Smart And Independent wife's withering anti-machismo comments and first-aid treatment after besting Methuselah's challenges.
Oh yes, he doesn't shave for a few days after his wife's tragic death, and is a little ticked at God. But a quick confessional to his congregation, and he gets over it.
I like to engage my suspension of belief when I read fiction, but this was too much. Come on, the woman he intended to invest the next 50-60 years (and maybe planned a family with) is gone. It's not something you just get over -- you learn to live with it.
The elements are there -- just don't make him a superhero. Rayford Steele of the Left Behind books is a great example of a more balanced (and human) protagonist.
2) Methuselah. Mysterious dude (always in the shadows) gets his jollies by getting Murphy to fall into one of his elaborate traps. Soooo, what will he do for fun if Murphy bites the big one? Get a relative of Louis Leakey?
Well, Methuselah's Lion King bit (ha ha!) does establish Murphy as a Man Of Action, unlike that wimpy college dean. But please don't bring this character back.
3) Dean Fallworth, Unbelieving Head Weenie. I kept visualizing the college dean of the Nutty Professor movies when I read the book. Do college deans drop dimes on their professors like that on national TV?
4) Stacy, the Up And Coming News Reporter. Sells her soul (literally) to get her Big Break. Never read that cliche before...
5) Steve Barrington, the Soulless TV Mogul. Hey, just go ahead and name this guy Ted Turner already! OK, guess you can't since Jane Fonda isn't in the novel. Oh, wait, there is Stacy...
6) The lesson that teaches that Archeological Digs Really Don't Require Mountains Of Paperwork And Red Tape -- just call that pal from grad school, and you'll dig up that artifact and be on to the next pyramid in time for corn flakes! And don't forget the unlikely -- but stunning -- bookworm who speaks long-dead languages. Never know when you'll need her to rescue you from sinister zombie sacrificers.
OK, there are some very promising aspects to this book (and series).
Talon is a very scary adversary, unlike the straw man Global Community people in the Left Behind books. The falcons are an interesting touch (ouch!). A little more character development in the next book.
"Christian Terrorists" theme -- One reviewer didn't think it's plausible that the media would portray Christians in that manner. I don't believe all media would do that, but many would. I've lost count of people who claim religion -- and Christianity -- is the reason we have so much strife in the world. I could go on about how our media demonstrate how tolerant we should be of other religions but will interview anyone who tries to debunk Biblical "myths", such as the divinity of Jesus, the Flood, etc.
Archeological/historical aspects -- Very interesting and innovative premise. I remember reading about the Brazen Serpent and the Golden Head, but never thought of a possible connection between the two. Great lesson.
Other positive aspects included the pacing (a LaHaye and Dinallo trademark -- I also read Dinallo's "Final Answers"), unexpected twists and loose ends.
I look forward to the second book, but please give the central characters more dimension.
on May 21, 2004
I am an Evangelical Christian Believer and read all of the Left Behind series. Bablon Rising was quite a disappointment. The relic searches were too easy and too much time spent with the evil villans. This is just a teaser to read more in the series, with no idea of how many books will be coming to reach a conclusion.
The editors were lax...on page 20 of the hard cover editon, it states, "Murphy kept a touch light on the accelerator...", which should read, "Murphy kept a light touch on the accelerator..."
Also, on page 231, first paragraph, the biblical reference shows II Kings 18:23, should be II Kings 18:4.
Tim LaHaye is a wonderful person and author, but he did not get the help he needed from the coauthor or his publisher.
Before spending $26 on the next book about Ararat, I will check the Amazon.com reviews.
on November 30, 2004
Although I thouroughly enjoyed the Left Behind series, this cash-grab by Lahaye is poorly written and exposes him as an obvious racist. I must say I was very surprised and disapponinted. He seems to reveal his disdain for the United Nations and any world court that might hold the US presidency accountable for their actions. This is beyond any conspiracy theory and I think he is clearly paranoid. It is sad to think that after all the good work he has done preaching the Bible that Lahaye is coming unglued. I think I will stick to Christian authors who are not so right wing in the future.
on May 25, 2004
Okay. Please someone who liked this book tell me what LaHaye was thinking? Tell me what the publishers were thinking to buy this thing. This has got to be the worst book I've read in quite some time and, with the number of books I put away, that's saying something.
I can't think of where to begin. The bad guys are so cliched in their speech and machinations. "Talon" is so one dimensional he makes the letters on the page look well-rounded. The lectures LaHaye gives the reader via Michael Murphy are laughable. I've been on Easter egg hunts more difficult than Murphy's "archeological digs" (come on he finds the first thing in less than a day of looking?!?!?). I won't go on. Really. There is a lot wrong with this book--poor editing, bad dialogue, trite situations.
I usually do not rant like this about a bad book but good grief. People are actually reading this drivel (and The Da Vinci Code which is just as badly written) and taking their theological and eschatological viewpoints from it!!!! The least he could do is at least try to write as good a novel as the first Left Behind book (they went downhill fast, IMO, and please don't get me started on them.)
For the record, I am a Christian and have no problem with good Christian fiction. There is a lot of it out there. This isn't it.
on June 14, 2004
Having read the Left Behind series, I was somewhat disappointed with this book. I can firmly say and believe that Jerry Jenkins was the real talent in that series. The writing in this book was fair. The book was predictable and not up to speed in the suspense department. I do not intend to buy the next installment.