The Backyard Homestead Guide to Raising Farm Animals: Choose the Best Breeds for Small-Space Farming, Produce Your Own Grass-Fed Meat, Gather Fresh Eggs, Collect Fresh Milk, Make Your Own Cheese, Keep Chickens, Turkeys, Ducks, Rabbits, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cattle, & Bees Paperback – Mar 23 2011
|New from||Used from|
Back to University 2016
Save on College Prep Essentials on Amazon.ca. Shop now
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
- Gather fresh eggs for fluffy omelets.
- Stuff homemade sausages with meat.
- Fill your omelet with tangy, creamy cheese.
- Stir sweet honey into tea or coffee.
- Fry a steak or bacon as a savory side.
- Top off your meal with a cold glass of milk.
Imagine the satisfaction of feeding your family wholesome eggs, milk, meat, and honey produced by animals raised organically and humanely in your backyard. On as little land as one-tenth of an acre, you can raise healthy, productive barnyard animals and take a big step toward food independence.
Learn how to:
- Raise chickens in brooder boxes
- Determine the freshness of eggs hidden in the backyard
- Roast a duck or goose to perfection
- Make goat-milk yogurt
- Interpret everyday sheep behavior
- Harvest honey
- Raise your own Thanksgiving turkey
- Manage your beef cattle to produce the best-tasting meat
The animal-raising companion to The Backyard Homestead.
About the Author
Gail Damerow, author of The Chicken Health Handbook, 2nd Edition, has written extensively on raising chickens and other livestock, growing fruits and vegetables, and related rural know-how in more than a dozen country skills how-to books, including the best-selling Storey’s Guide to Raising Chickens, The Chicken Encyclopedia, and Hatching and Brooding Your Own Chicks. Damerow is a regular contributor to Backyard Poultry and Countryside magazines. She lives in Tennessee with her husband, where they operate a family farm with poultry and dairy goats, a sizable garden, and a small orchard.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Most recent customer reviews
This book is so fun! Very informative and perfect for what we need! I can't wait to get started in homesteading!!!Published 13 months ago by amy
Very informative, great basic guide, awesome to have around to learn the basics!Published 14 months ago by Dee Sea
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Medical Books > Veterinary Medicine
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Agricultural Sciences > Animal Husbandry
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Agricultural Sciences > Sustainable Agriculture
- Books > Science & Math > Agricultural Sciences > Animal Husbandry
- Books > Science & Math > Agricultural Sciences > Sustainable Agriculture
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine > Veterinary Medicine