- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Bamana: Visions of Africa Series Paperback – Oct 1 2008
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Part of the ambitious "Visions Of Africa" series, this volume does a good job of encapsulating the art of the Bamana people (also known as Bambara) of Mali in West Africa. As with all books in the series, the art works selected are well photographed, typical of the people, and of a consistently high standard. There are 16 "Chiwara" crest figures shown, here described as "tyiwara" or "sogoni" crests. There are also typical Soruku (hyena) kore masks, ntomo masks, and some beautiful figures. Amongst the 60 plates are 4 or 5 of the best tribal art pieces you will ever see.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Arts & Photography > History & Criticism > Regional > African
- Books > Arts & Photography > Schools, Periods & Styles > Folk Art
- Books > History > Africa > Mali
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Anthropology > Cultural
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Sociology
- Books > Professional & Technical > Architecture > Individual Architects & Firms