Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 and Databases Paperback – Aug 7 2006
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
ASP.NET is Microsoft's popular technology for creating dynamic web sites that pull unique information for each visitor rather than showing everyone the same static HTML pages. The introduction of the exciting 2.0 version allows for a far easier relationship between data and ASP.NET than ever before. In this book, bestselling author John Kauffman and Microsoft ASP.NET data insider Bradley Millington guide you through the most important uses of ASP.NETworking with databases in your ASP.NET web sites.
As you progress from simple to more complex topics, you'll be introduced to the many additional ASP.NET and data connectivity tools that Microsoft's Web Platform and Tools team has released. Kauffman and Millington take you beyond the basics to discuss the permutations, pitfalls, and best practices that occur in real business scenarios.
What you will learn from this book
- Fundamentals of connecting web pages to databases
- The connections to Access, SQL Server, Oracle®, XML, and other data sources
- Various tricks and traps for displaying data in grids, lists, and trees
- How to allow users to change, add, and delete data
- Techniques for creating data objects and events
- Ways to handle data errors
Who this book is for
This book is for anyone who needs a web front-end or is looking to add data to a site. A comfortable level of understanding with ASP.NET version 1.x or ASP version 3.0 is recommended. Readers should also have some familiarity with databases.
Wrox Beginning guides are crafted to make learning programming languages and technologies easier than you think, providing a structured, tutorial format that will guide you through all the techniques involved.
About the Author
John Kaufman (Ogdensburg NY) is a trainer and writer working in Asia and North America specializing in connecting databases to the web. While teaching he keeps a list of student questions and mistakes and uses that information as the basis for future material in books. John authored best-seller Beginning ASP Databases and coauthored several other best-sellers including Beginning Active Server Pages 3. Bradley Millington (Redmond, WA) is a Microsoft Program Manager for the Web Platform and Tools Team with primary responsibility for the database controls in ASP.NET. He is a well-known frequent speaker at Microsoft technical conferences including TechEd and PDC.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
This book presumes some experience with ASP and some experience with databases. Several different databases are covered in the book including Microsoft Access, SQL Server and SQL Server Express. The author recommends that you not use Access (and I agree). He points out that Access was not designed to scale to large applications. I'll point out that the SQL used in Access is quite different than that used in either version SQL Server. Switching from Access to SQL Server at a later time is a pain. (It took me several days to find out about all the differences and then a couple of weeks to change over a web site of about a hundred pages.)
This book is as complete an introduction to ASP.NET 2.0 as you're going to get. It's well written and complete. But don't get to thinking that you're going to have a full fledged dynamic web site up and running tomorrow. This is a programming language like any other. You'll have to learn how it works.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Computer Science
- Books > Computers & Technology > Databases > Beginning & Introductory
- Books > Computers & Technology > Databases > Database Design
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Languages & Tools
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Software Design, Testing & Engineering > Software Development
- Books > Computers & Technology > Software
- Books > Computers & Technology > Web Development > Programming > ASP
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Database Storage & Design
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Software Design & Engineering