- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Beyond Uncle Tom's Cabin: Essays on the Writing of Harriet Beecher Stowe Hardcover – Aug 5 2011
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"Literary criticism of Stowe's work consistently focuses on her masterpiece, Uncle Tom's Cabin (1852), and on themes immediate to that work―race, slavery, religion, and domesticity. In fact, Stowe wrote much more than just that one novel: she also penned The Pearl of Orr's Island (1862), Lady Byron Vindicated (1870), Pink and White Tyranny (1871), My Wife and I (1871), We and Our Neighbor (1875), Poganuc People (1878), and many more works. Mayer (Univ. of Bayreuth, Germany) and Mueller (Univ. of Stuttgart, Germany) seek to shift the scholarly conversation to these less-known works and provide other lenses through which to read Stowe. They succeed brilliantly. For example, the essays reveal that Stowe's works are relevant for transnational studies, for ecocriticism and environmentalism, for conceptualizing New England regionalism as important to national identity formation, and for forays into rhetorical studies. This volume demonstrates that focusing on Stowe's 'other' writings can open up new directions for Stowe studies. Summing Up: Highly recommended. Upper-division undergraduates through faculty." (CHOICE)
About the Author
Sylvia Mayer is chair of American studies and Anglophone literatures and cultures at the University of Bayreuth, Germany. Monika Mueller is senior lecturer of American literature and culture at the University of Stuttgart, Germany.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education & Reference > Writing, Research & Publishing Guides > Writing
- Books > History > Americas > United States
- Books > History > United States
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Books & Reading > Women Writers & Feminist Theory
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Classics > United States
- Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > United States
- Books > Literature & Fiction > United States > African American
- Books > Literature & Fiction > United States > Classics
- Books > Literature & Fiction > United States > History & Criticism
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Women's Studies > Women Writers
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > History > United States
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Literature > American Literature
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Literature > Creative Writing & Composition