- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Bitter Ashes: The Story of WW II Hardcover – Jan 1 2010
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"An accessible, often mesmerizing, account of the war. The book's breadth, warmth and clarity provide a good read for young history buffs, a compelling narrative even for those who don't usually take to non-fiction."
About the Author
John Wilson was born in 1951 in Edinburgh, Scotland. He did his early growing up on the Island of Skye and in Paisley, near Glasgow. From 1969 to 1974, he attended the University of St. Andrews where he took an Honours B.Sc.. in Geology and never played golf once. He took a position with the Geological Survey of Rhodesia (Zimbabwe). In his two years there, he mapped rocks, dodged land mines and watched the country sink ever deeper into civil war. Shortly before he was due to be called into the army, John retreated back to Britain on his way to the safety of Canada. He settled on Calgary where geology was booming and the only danger was freezing to death in January. In 1979, he moved to Edmonton to take up a post with the Alberta Geological Survey. In 1988 he sold a feature article to the Globe and Mail. This fueled a smouldering mid-life crisis and he took up freelance writing full-time. With some success, John mined the experiences of his travels for articles, journalism and photo essays. He even began to express himself poetically and, with a young family, began writing children's stories. He moved to Nanaimo and then Lantzville on Vancouver Island. John has been widely published by a number of Canadian presses, with his accolades including a shortlisting for the Governor General’s Award.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Children's Books > Geography & Cultures > Explore the World > Canada
- Books > Children's Books > History > Canada
- Books > Children's Books > History > Military & Wars
- Books > History > Americas > Canada
- Books > History > Americas > United States > 20th Century > World War II
- Books > History > Canada
- Books > History > Military > Canada
- Books > History > Military > World War II
- Books > History > United States > 20th Century > World War II