Black Bard of North Carolina: George Moses Horton and His Poetry Hardcover – Apr 1997
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From Library Journal
Sherman (African-American Poetry of the Nineteenth Century, LJ 10/92) has culled 62 of the poems of George Moses Horton (ca. 1797-1883) from his three volumes: The Hope of Liberty (1829), the Poetical Works (1845), and Naked Genius (1865). She provides an in-depth introduction and biographical information that puts Horton in context, and she occasionally corrects errors of previous critics. Sherman also gives an insightful if brief analysis of his poetry. She particularly focuses on his connection with the University of North Carolina, where the self-educated Horton was campus poet for years. Because he was enslaved for 68 years, one of Horton's most powerful and poignant subjects is the desire for liberty, which was often cruelly snatched from him. Sherman's edition will aid in securing Horton's place as a significant 19th-century American poet. Recommended for larger poetry collections.?Louis J. Parascandola, Long Island Univ., Brooklyn
Copyright 1997 Reed Business Information, Inc.
"The Black Bard of North Carolina" [is] the best introduction to Horton's life and work available.William L. Andrews, University of North Carolina at Chapel HillSee all Product Description
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Ethnic & National > African-American & Black
- Books > History > Americas > United States > African Americans
- Books > History > United States > African Americans
- Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > Criticism & Theory
- Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > United States
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Poetry > Anthologies
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Poetry > Criticism
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Poetry > Single Authors > United States
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Poetry > United States
- Books > Literature & Fiction > United States > African American
- Books > Literature & Fiction > United States > History & Criticism
- Books > Literature & Fiction > United States > Poetry
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Special Groups > African-American Studies