- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Breaking the Bargain: Public Servants, Ministers, and Parliament Paperback – Sep 20 2003
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
'Savoie makes the compelling case that democracy and its vital institutions are weak and dangerously near collapse. His argument, detailed with academic discipline and journalistic flair in Breaking the Bargain, is that the rules and boundaries that once separated politicians and bureaucrats have been tossed in history's dumpster. Far from some dusty tome, this is dramatic stuff with real-life implications.'(James Travers Toronto Star)
'Donald Savoie has once again produced a timely and serious book. In Breaking the Bargain, Savoie has opened up the black box of government by examining the intricacies of the relationship between ministers, Parliament, and the bureaucracy... Savoie writes crisply on the history of the traditional bargain between cabinet ministers and the public service, and he evokes well the era when Canada was recognized for having one of the finest public services in the world...but the Ottawa of the Mandarinate was like Athens on the Rideau compared to the Ottawa of today with its horde of lobbyists, a media gone mad over personal scandal, a cabinet which is more like a focus group than the centre of decision-making, and public servants currying favour rather than pointing out error.'(Thomas S. Axworthy The Globe and Mail)
About the Author
Donald J. Savoie holds a Canada Research Chair in Public Administration and Governance at l'Université de Moncton.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Government > Federal > Monarchy
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Government > Federal > Parliament
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Government > Politics
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Political Science > International Institutions
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Political Science > Systems Of Government