Buffalo '66 (Widescreen) [Import]
|Price:||CDN$ 19.34 & FREE Shipping on orders over CDN$ 25. Details|
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
Compelling and absorbing.
It's not an extremely high budget movie, but that doesnt matter. the writing and acting are better than most big budget movies. the look and feel of the actors and sets are perfect. the slightly low quality of the film actually adds to the movie(this may be due to the type of film purposely chosen, not that it is poor cinematography, just grainy film)
anyway, if you are someone who needs an over the top story or lots of action, you will probably not like this movie. but if you can appreciate an honestly written story based on normal people living in a real world, you will love this movie. it is very funny and well... uh, its good. here is a plot summary:
THIS M0VIE IS GREAT NOT KNOWING WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN. ITS COOL BECAUSE YOU CANT EVEN TELL IF ITS GOING TO BE A COMEDY OR DRAMA OR WHAT. READ THIS IF ONLY IF YOU MUST KNOW. ITS BETTER WATCHING WITHOUT KNOWING.
Vincent Gallos' character has grown up in middle America with a slightly rough child hood. nothing extreme, but very neglectful parents. anyway in his early adulthood he makes a very big mistake and places a huge bet on a football game with money he doesnt have. he loses the bet and cant pay, so he is offered a choice: admit to a crime and do time in prison in place of a friend of the gangster he owes the money to... or else.
he does the time, but while he's gone he has a friend send letters back home and he tells his parents he is gone working for the govt. the movie starts with his release from prison.
very funny, very sad, but ultimately exteremely uplifting and inspiring.
The positives first. Um, lets see here...
1. The music was pretty decent (Yes, King Crimson)
2. Christina looks nice, but only has two looks in this movie - "pout" and "gaze".
3. A few funny moments.
4. Somewhat interesting camerawork. Except for the boring parts.
1. Hopelessly unbelievable story. Christina's character "Leyla" (but going by Billy's imaginary only-previous-girlfriend's name "Wendy") had many chances early on to escape her loony kidnapper, but chose not to. We have no character development for her, so we don't know if she is emotionally unstable, rebellious against her family, etc. Actually, the fact that she ends up liking the unlikable grimey ex-con loser points to fact that she has no taste, or sense.
2. I can not emphasis enough how much of a loser the character of Billy is. He would not have survived 5 years in prison without getting his teeth knocked out and his nose broken because he was such a messed up ass. He needs some serious psychoanalysis ("Hold me a minute" - she does - "Don't touch me!") Give me a break. His fashion sense has to be seen to be unbelieved. Although Billy seems to see the light at the end, I doubt he will make any lasting recovery. Bottom line - "Does not play well with others."
These 2 large negatives pretty much balance out the 4 positives. It is a professionally-made movie, and the participants seem to be trying, however.
Supporting cast of Mickey Rourke as a bookie, Jan-Michael Vincent as a washed-up alcoholic bowling-alley owner, and Ben Gazzara and Angelica Huston as his parents are decent.
Recommended for fans of Christina Ricci, and maybe residents of Buffalo.
DVD has no extras. A generous 3 of 5 stars.
Most recent customer reviews
"Buffalo 66" (1998) is directed by Vincent Gallo (Promises Written in Water). The film is about Billy Brown (Vincent Gallo) who kidnaps a tap dancer, Layla (Christina... Read morePublished on July 6 2014 by G. Edmonson
Rough, disheveled film like it's principle protagonist. Feels cobbled together but honest and gritty. No frills here. No slick Hollywood manipulation. Read morePublished on March 3 2014 by nobody
This is a surprisingly entertaining movie. The characters exhibit no admirable qualities at all but one is left no choice but to root for them. Read morePublished on Jan. 10 2008 by Deavlan Bradley
what else can i say about this film thas hasnt been said already, the praise is well deserved and it being vincent gallos debut film only makes a person wonder how great of an... Read morePublished on July 3 2004 by C. Kim
Buffalo 66' is a gratest movie I have ever seen. It's main mattar is love, but the love story is not ordinal film's one. Read morePublished on May 23 2004
what a debut for Vincent Gallo, Buffalo '66 really makes u part of the movie with a thought provoking plot and excellent acting. Read morePublished on May 9 2004 by C. Kim
- An awesome and must-see cult movie
- Nice art direction
- Wried but cute
- Some of the post-shooting effect was awesome, such as the pop-up boxes and transition;... Read more
It's hard to explain, but ''Buffalo 66'' touched me in a way that other films and the way they are made don't do so well. Vincent was engaging as Billy Brown. Read morePublished on March 3 2004 by Vanessa Ryan
A totally engrossing, feel good film.
It shows that it is not only what you are dealt,
But how you deal with it...