Compare Offers on Amazon
+ CDN$ 3.49 shipping
+ CDN$ 3.49 shipping
+ CDN$ 3.49 shipping
A Bug's Life [Blu-ray]
Frequently Bought Together
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Experience the astonishing world of Flik and his tiny friends like never before as the magic of Pixar animation springs to life with new crystal-clear picture and amazing theater-quality sound on Disney Blu-ray Hi-Def! Embark on an incredible journey with one little ant as he searches for a brave band of warriors to help him battle the bullying grasshoppers who threaten his home. When he stumbles on a bumbling troupe of circus bugs instead, their only hope for victory is the bond of friendship and the awesome power of imagination. Crawling with fun-loving characters and featuring a star-studded voice cast, this epic film of miniature proportions is a "triumph of storytelling," says the San Francisco Chronicle. Plus, with all-new bonus features created exclusively for Disney Blu-ray, including a DisneyFile Digital Copy of the movie, A BUG'S LIFE will keep the whole family buzzing for hours!
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
FILM FACT: ‘A Bug's Life’ won a number of awards and numerous nominations. The film won the Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards for Best Animated Film (tied with ‘The Prince of Egypt’) and Best Family Film, the Satellite Award for Best Animated Film and the Grammy Award for Best Instrumental Composition by Randy Newman. It was also nominated for the Academy Award® for Best Original Musical or Comedy Score, the Golden Globe Award for Best Original Score and the BAFTA Award for Best Achievement in Special Visual Effects.
Voice Cast: Dave Foley, Kevin Spacey, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Hayden Panettiere, Phyllis Diller, Richard Kind, David Hyde Pierce, Joe Ranft, Denis Leary, Jonathan Harris, Madeline Kahn, Bonnie Hunt, Michael McShane, John Ratzenberger, Brad Garrett, Jeff Pidgeon, Roddy McDowall, Edie McClurg, Alex Rocco, David Ossman, David L. Lander, Randy Thom, Carlos Alazraqui, Bob Bergen and Rodger Bumpass
Directors: Andrew Stanton and John Lasseter
Producers: Darla K.Read more ›
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Aspect ratio: 2.35:1
MPEG-4 AVC BD-50 / AACS
Running time: 1:34:53
Movie size: 22,77 GB
Disc size: 44,68 GB
Total bit rate: 32.00 Mbps
Average video bit rate: 23.78 Mbps
DTS-HD Master Audio English 4617 kbps 5.1 / 48 kHz / 4617 kbps / 24-bit (DTS Core: 5.1-ES / 48 kHz / 1509 kbps / 24-bit)
Dolby Digital Audio French 640 kbps 5.1 / 48 kHz / 640 kbps
Dolby Digital Audio Spanish 640 kbps 5.1 / 48 kHz / 640 kbps
Dolby Digital Audio English 192 kbps 2.0 / 48 kHz / 192 kbps
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Number of chapters: 36
#Introduction by John Lasseter (HD - 1m:11s)
#Audio Commentary with John Lasseter
#Filmmakers Round Table (HD - 21m:00s)
#Story Treatment Intro by John Lasseter (HD - 10m:49s)
#Geri's Game (HD - 4m:55s)
#Grasshopper and the Ants (HD - 8m:15s)
#Features ported from DVD
#DVD Digital Copy
As this is one of my favorite Pixar movies, I was very excited to finally see it on Blu-Ray. While the SD already flexes Pixar's animation brilliance muscle,the Blu-Ray is brighter, and even more sharp.
The story is well known, and the characters all heart-felt and adorable. The Blu-Ray is an upgrade in both sound and picture, with increased sharpness and subtelty in sound layers. Very enjoyable and a must for Pixar fans!
The film received overwhelmingly positive reviews and featured an all star cast starring Dave Foley ("The Kids in the Hall", "NewsRadio", etc.), Kevin Spacey ("The Usual Suspects", "Se7en", "L.A. Confidential"), Julia Louis-Dreyfus ("Seinfeld", "Saturday Night Live"), a young Hayden Panettiere ("HEROES"), comedians Denis Leary, Madeline Kahn, Phyllis Diller and Bonnie Hunt, Richard Kind ("Spin City", "Mad About You"), David Hyde Pearce ("Frazier"), Brad Garrett ("Everybody Loves Raymond") and Roddy McDowell ("Planet of the Apes", "Cleopatra") to name a few.
VIDEO & AUDIO:
When the first DVD came out for "A BUG'S LIFE" in 1999, it received rave reviews for being a complete digital transfer. And of course, since the film's release in 1998, we have seen how Pixar animation has come to evolve in the last eleven years and pushing animation technology as far as they can go.
With that being said, "A BUG'S LIFE", even though its been a decade since its release, looks absolute magnificent on Blu-ray. Feature in 1080p High Definition with an aspect ratio of 2:35:1, the animation looks absolute crystal clear. The animation is quite vibrant in colors, lush and green for the grass, the browns of the dirt, the blues of the sky and the blacks are nice and deep. There is nothing bad that can be said about the picture quality. It's an animation that was created in digital and looks absolute awesome on Blu-ray. No artifacts, no blemishes, no dust, bad particles or anything negative. The picture quality is colorful, clear and vibrant!
As for audio, the audio is presented in English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio and sounds absolutely superb. The sound is literally coming from all directions and really good utilization of rear surrounds and separating audio. I have a 7.2 setup and scenes such as the grasshoppers flying, to the sounds of thunder and a variety of sounds with music all coming together definitely makes an immersive, audio experience.
It's important to note that my receiver doesn't shown the DTS-HD Master Audio and shows up as ES. There is speculation that the audio is featured not in 5.1 but in 6.1.
The special treatment that Walt Disney has put in their animated releases on Blu-ray have been nothing short of phenomenal, it doesn't matter if the film is 10 years or 70 years later, the picture and audio quality of these releases have been outstanding. "A BUG'S LIFE" is yet another fabulous release on Blu-ray!
"A BUG'S LIFE" contains all the special features from the 2003 DVD but also contains newer bonus content as well. The new bonus content (in HD) specific for this Blu-ray release are:
* INTRODUCTION BY JOHN LASSETER - A quick introduction by Director John Lasseter.
* FILMMAKERS ROUND TABLE - (21:00) Filmmakers John Lasseter, Kevin Reher, Darla Anderson and Andrew Stanton take a journey back 10 years from when the theatrical release first premiered and discuss what advances Pixar has made in technology, story telling and the overall filmmaking process.
* A BUG'S LIFE: THE FIRST DRAFT - (10:19) How the story changed from a red ant that was part of the circus to the final cut of Flik and the ant colony. Existing storyboards from Pixar's original story treatment brought to life by animating them. Ready by Dave Foley. Also, includes STORY TREATMENT INTRO BY JOHN LASSETER.
* BD-LIVE FEATURES
o Movie Chat
o Movie Mail
o Movie Challenge
o Movie Reward
All 2003 Bonus Features from the 2-Disc version (in Standard Definition) included are:
* Pixar Animation Studios' Academy Award®-winning Best Animated Short Film, Geri's Game
* A Walt Disney Silly Symphony - "Grasshopper and the Ants" (1934) - (8:15 w/ intro) A classic Disney animated short.
* Director Commentary - Commentary by John Lasseter, co-writer Andrew Stanton and Editor Lee Unkrich discussing the film scenes, original plans for the story, final cut, the various talent and voiceovers and the positive reception of the film.
* Pre-Production: This section alone contains many sub-features such as:
- Fleabie Reel (With Intro - 4:19)
- Story + Editorial (With Intro 5:33)
- Storyboard to Film Comparisons (13:22)
- Dot's Rescue: Story Reel (3:53)
- Dot's Rescue: Final Render (3:53)
- Dot's Rescue: Split-Screen Comparison (3:53)
- Abandoned Sequences (with intro: 5:34)
- P.T. Fleas Office (1:37)
- Original Museum (1:43)
- Research Documentary (with intro: 5:22)
* Design (1:39) + Gallery
- Behind-the-scenes of Bug's Life:
- Production Feature Documentary (3:45)
- Voice Casting (4:12)
- Early Test (5:25)
- Progression Demonstration
- Story Reel (with intro: 3:56)
- Layout (with intro: 2:54)
- Animation (with intro: 3:04)
- Shadow and Lighting (with intro: 2:55)
* Sound Design - (13:07) Featuring Gary Rydstrom (Sound Designer) introducing how they created various sounds for the film. From jelly squishing to flapping film, interesting and creative ways to capture sound.
* Release - This segment features posters and ad campaign and also the trailers (trailer 1: 1:22, trailer 2: 2:25) and character interviews (with intro: 2:00) featuring a real interview between a newscaster with Hopper, Flik, Francis and Heimlich.
* Outtakes - (3:17) The Story behind the outtakes which includes the original outtakes (2:31) and the alternate outtakes (2:30). NOTE: This is presented in HD.
* Geri's Game - (4:55) A Pixar classic short film of an older gentleman playing chess against himself. NOTE: This is presented in HD.
Also, included is a MovieCash Code with a printable voucher for the upcoming animated film "Up" and a second disc which is a digital copy of the film.
"A BUG'S LIFE" is just a fantastic Blu-ray release. I've always looked at the storyline is like a hilarious, enjoyable and child-friendly, animated nod to Akira Kurosawa's "Seven Samurai" but its overall storyline and presentation was just incredibly done. The film was financially successful and it was quite interesting to see this film and DreamWorks Animation's "ANTZ" go head to head in the box office that year.
It's been a long time since I first seen "A BUG'S LIFE". The first thing that catches your eye is how beautiful the film looks even though it is over a decade old but then once you start seeing the dirt and detail of an animated film created by Pixar at that time, you realized how much farther Pixar has come since 1998.
You can look at the characters now and just imagine if they looked this good then, can you imagine how much detail into the actual characters that Pixar would probably go crazy if they worked on a sequel (with a total of three films for "TOY STORY", with the success of this film, I was hoping a sequel for more adventures with Flik).
There is really nothing negative I can say about this release. The 2003 DVD release was among the most fantastic Walt Disney animated releases ever as it really goes into the making of the film and for any Pixar fan or animator, this DVD was just magnificent to own.
What is awesome about "A BUG'S LIFE" and watching it ten years later is that the story is well-written and the acting is well-done. It's one thing to have awesome animation but if the storyline is not enjoyable, then the experience is not exactly wonderful. With this film, you have a good group all-star talent involved in this film and the I found the acting to be well done. Julia Louis-Dreyfus and her well-known laugh, Kevin Spacey's brooding vocals and of course, Dave Foley does a magnifcent job as Flik. But the list goes on, these talents did such a fantastic job on this film. It's also important to note that if you are big fans of legendary talents Madeline Kahn and Roddy McDowall, this animated film was their final film.
Now let's assume that you own the original 1999 or the 2003 DVD version and are wondering if you should double dip and re-purchase this film on Blu-ray. My answer is YES!!!
This is the definitive version to own of "A BUG'S LIFE" as the picture and audio quality is just phenomenal in High Definition. I can continue to give you many reasons of how awesome the picture and audio quality are and how incredible this film is, but you also get more special features included only on this Blu-ray release. Moreso, than the 2003 DVD edition and these newer bonus features are presented in HD. The overall presentation of this release alone outshines the 2003 DVD (and that DVD release was magnificent). If you own an HD setup, you're definitely going to appreciate this release!
Overall, "A BUG'S LIFE" is highly recommended! A+!
PQ - gorgeous!I own Wall-E and Ratatouille on blu-ray, and i think this looks the best of the three. 3D 'pop', detail and color are worth showing off. AQ - constant background of crickets and insect 'whine' is amazing. Check the AVS blu-ray tier forum for further opinions.
extras are OK.
Look for similar items by category
- Electronics > Accessories & Supplies
- Movies & TV > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Animation > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Animation > Kids & Family
- Movies & TV > Anime & Manga
- Movies & TV > Comedy > Kids & Family
- Movies & TV > En français > Enfants, Jeunesse et Famille > Animation
- Movies & TV > En français > Enfants, Jeunesse et Famille > Films > Fantastique, Horreur et Science-fiction
- Movies & TV > Kids & Family > Animation
- Movies & TV > Kids & Family > Characters & Series > Disney > All Disney Titles
- Movies & TV > Kids & Family > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Kids & Family > Fantasy
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy