- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Butterflies through Binoculars: The East A Field Guide to the Butterflies of Eastern North America Paperback – Feb 18 2003
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"The life blood of Dr. Jeffrey Glassberg's new field guide are the superb photographs of living butterflies. Over 300 species of butterflies occurring in the eastern half of the United States and southeastern Canada are covered. The uniformly high quality of the photographs is instantly obvious....Glassberg and all those who helped him are to be commended on having produced a truly state of the art field guide."--News of the Lepidopterists' Society
"Butterflying is a direct outgrowth of birdwatching. Glassberg is a birder and a member of ABA. The techniques he helped pioneer are direct extensions of what birders do.... Glassberg's message [is] simple and beautiful: pick up your glasses, it can be done.... [He] has shown butterflyers how to enjoy and preserve the living creature, and he has promoted awareness of these beautiful insects and their place in the grand scheme of things."--Winging It
"[Glassberg] has hit his stride, perfecting the format such that, for the first time, butterfly enthusiasts have a true and useful field identification guide for the eastern U.S. and adjacent Canada."--American Butterflies
"It has a very extensive collection of photo plates of butterflies in nature. The treatment of skippers is excellent. It has range maps and graphic flight periods. The best guide currently available."--Wisconsin Entomological Society Newsletter
"Prayer answered! Six hundred twenty-five color photographs of butterflies in the wild! Color range maps....Descriptions! Timelines of peak flight abundance! And a quirky author's voice throughout that communicates Glassberg's infectious love of his subject...more than a field guide: it's a field companion. "--Bird Watcher's Digest
From the Publisher
900 color illus, & 23 b/w line illusSee all Product Description
Top Customer Reviews
That being said, Butterflies through Binoculars shares a lot of the same traits I find mildly frustrating in the current set of Audubon's bird guides. It uses photographs, which I've always found less useful than thoughtful artist's drawings in my bird books. All the plates, moreover, are stacked together in front of the book. Maybe others find it handy to flip through pictures only, but I'd much rather see things like the better bird guides do it: color plates on one side, succinct species description with range map on the other. Whenever I use a guide like this in the field I end up flipping back and forth in my field guide like I can't make up my mind.
For that reason, I'd recommend this as an introductory title, but I'd say we're still waiting for a really wonderful field guide.
Most recent customer reviews
Without comparison, this is the best butterfly id book around. It is really easy to navigate and find specific butterflies quickly, even for the novice. Read morePublished on Aug. 5 2001 by merrymousies
If you are interested in butterflies on any scale, you must have this book! The pictures are really good for comparison in the field. Read morePublished on May 31 2001 by T. A. Iles
An absolute must have! Glassberg, who is president of the North American Butterfly Association, shares his knowledge of these delicate creatures and makes identifcation easy and... Read morePublished on May 17 2000 by W. Tracy Parnell
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Agricultural Sciences
- Books > Science & Math > Biological Sciences > Biology > Entomology
- Books > Science & Math > Biological Sciences > Zoology > Invertebrates
- Books > Science & Math > Mathematics
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Animals > Butterflies
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Animals > Insects & Spiders
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Fauna > Butterflies
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Fauna > Insects & Spiders
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Field Guides > Butterflies
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Field Guides > Insects & Spiders
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Flora
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Plants
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Reference