COMMENTARY ON THE LAW OF PRIZE AND BOOTY Paperback – May 1 2006
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
The Commentary is a pleasure to read - written with energy and confidence, Grotius is here at his best. Although unpublished in his lifetime, and subsequently overshadowed anyway by the gigantic 'Right of War and Peace', the Commentary is a remarkable mixture of high principle and opportunistic pragmatism. One of the real highlights is a conception of religious tolerance entirely based on the pursuit of profit-making. In this way Grotius invented a line of thinking tolerance that differs from both reason of state approach of Pufendorf and Hobbes and from the liberalism of Bayle, Locke, Mill.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Law > Specialties > Maritime
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Books & Reading > Reference
- Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > Criticism & Theory
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Philosophy > Modern
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Literature
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Philosophy > History & Surveys
- Books > Textbooks > Law