Echo Spot fd18 boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire 7 tablet, starting at $59.99 WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite fd18 Tools

Customer reviews

Callander Square: A Charlotte and Thomas Pitt Novel
Format: Paperback|Change

on September 25, 2012
Once I picked this book up I had a hard time putting it down again and I read it in a little over a day. Enjoyable storyline and characters, the setting of Victorian England was told so vividly you could almost picture yourself in the drawing rooms and parlours of the wealthy characters, sitting in front of a roaring fire, the ladies gossiping, the men smoking cigars, drinking port and solving the world's problems. I swear I could hear the clip clop of horses hooves on the pavement and feel the cold winter air as they walked to wherever they were going. I couldn't solve the mystery until it was done for me at the end of the book. I look forward to reading more in this series and seeing how Charlotte and Thomas's marriage grows over the years, and just how invovled Charlotte and her sister will be in future cases.
on September 8, 2017
I have read many of Anne Perry's novels, this is one I didn't have in my library. As usual it was well written, but I was completely surprised by the ending! Well done......
on September 22, 2017
Anne Perry is a very good mystery writer and I have enjoyed her books over the years. Also she always adds good information on Victorian England culture and how society worked in those days. Good Reading!!
on January 12, 2018
Excellent story. Love Anne Perry,, always who you last expect as the culprit.
on February 11, 2017
Great plot and kept you guessing. Interesting to see how important class and women were treated 100 years ago.
on October 12, 2016
I enjoy Anne Perry's writing.
on October 28, 2014
My second historic sojourn with <b>Anne Perry</b>, whose wonderful suite I’m taking in ten years tardy, was also enjoyed at the five-star level. By an odd personal turn, it was hard to begin this sequel to <i>“The Cater Street Hangman”</i> because my dear cat unexpectedly died while that book was going! We miss you very much, <b>Love</b>. I didn’t want to associate <b>Anne</b> with a sad event. After a few uplifting titles: I got back upon the saddle and forged into “<b>Callander Square</b>”.

Exactly like the former, action and activity speed along from scene to scene. This is no mean feat because a plethora of families must be introduced and <b>Anne’s</b> audience needs updating. Where we left off, <i>Charlotte & Thomas</i> wanted to marry. We aren’t witness to his petitioning of her Father nor of their wedding. So we have a little bit of acclimatizing to do at their home, where <i>Charlotte</i> doesn’t mind attending to basic housekeeping and employs one maid to assist her. It seems a solitary maid is sign enough of a humbler station, in the 1800s. <i>Emily’s</i> vain disposition is much improved, as <i>Charlotte’s</i> assistant sleuth.

Not light, <b>Anne</b> presents bold subjects unflinchingly: the discovery of two infants under the grass thoroughfare of a classy neighbourhood. We find the deep-rooted theme again, that this society feared keeping their status and unspotted name; even if avoiding scandal flew in the face of what we today decree is <i>“the right thing”</i>. It was impossible to nail down a culprit because every household, with no exception, questioned the police’s intention to solve an old murder. They all reacted with genuine distress to news of the infants but everyone felt the past should be left to lie. The sub-stories are complex; blended seamlessly between all families by a sharp plotter.
One person found this helpful
on March 19, 2003
A couple of years have passed since the marriage of Charlotte Ellison to Inspector Thomas Pitt, and she has adapted well to her more restricted economic circumstances, while her sister, Emily, has similarly done very well as Lady Ashworth. But Pitt must try to discover what happened to the two infants whose bodies have been dug up in the gardens in the center of fashionable Callander Square, and the two sisters resolve to assist him in rather ingenious ways. In a way, this second book in the series is a superior sort of soap opera, investigating the relationships within the families who live on the Square, uncovering their numerous scandals, and making it clear that wealth and privilege are no guarantee of personal quality. Some of the families are divided or devasted by Pitt's investigations, and by the additonal murders that take place, while others are reunited and perhaps improved. And the plot is again well laid and logically developed.
One person found this helpful
on December 26, 1998
Nearly everyone living on well-to-do Callander Square has something to hide--secrets that, if made public, would ruin lives and reputations. The residents' desperate attempts to keep those secrets from each other are as much a part of the story as the efforts of Inspector Thomas Pitt and his new wife, Charlotte, to unravel the mystery of two dead infants buried in the square itself. Perry blends period detail, detection, and rot-beneath-the-genteel-surface social commentary with great skill. Thomas and Charlotte are as charming as in their first appearance (in _The Cater Street Hangman_), and some residents of the Square rise to three-dimensional status. Only the climax disappoints, setting up a solid solution with creaky plot devices reminiscent of a "Perry Mason" TV episode.
on October 28, 2000
Having discovered a new detective series (new to me) with "The Cater Street Hangman," I was really looking forward to reading all the books in sequence. This one, however, didn't hold up to the pace or energy of the first one. I found it slow going, actually. And between the end of the last one and the beginning of this one Charlotte and Thomas were married -- cheating us all out of quite a bit of information, such as how her father took it, how everything went, etc. But it was an interesting plot and, I must say, I didn't guess the answer before the end, so all in all it was clever. I'm not really disappointed, but I hope the rest of the series regains the excitement of the first book.