Cat Breeds Of The World Hardcover – May 10 1999
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Top Customer Reviews
This book is a discarded library book, is in excellent condition, still has the library cover on it.
Has great pictures which is what I wanted it for, and has a history of all of the breeds.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
That said, there are four reasons that I did not give this book 5 stars.
1. The breed information, other than history, reads pretty much like a written standard or description. There was not much information at all on individual breed personalities, etc.
2. There were not that many photos of each breed 1-2 on average.
3. There were no photographs to illustrate the different coat colors and patterns (in the back of the book).
4. Some of the breed photographs and a good bit of the classification information pertained primarilly to british-style cats. i.e. the "asian" grouping and the phtographs of the havanah brown and russian blue were definately British. I do not have a problem with that alone, but I think that it would have been quite informative to have photographs of British and American style cats from the same breeds.
Some things this book did have that I was surprised to find:
1. Information on grouping of cats in cat shows.
2. Listing of clubs that recognize each breed and color variations each club recognizes.
3. Information on breed-specific cat clubs.
4. Alternate breed history myths/stories.
All in all, a good reference book that could do double duty as a coffee-table book. However, I would not reccommend it as a resource when picking a breed of cat due to the lack of temperment information and number of breed photos, etc. It would, however, make an excellent addition to your collection if you want to learn more about the history of your particular breed.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Crafts, Hobbies & Home > Animal Care & Pets > Cats > Breeds
- Books > Education & Reference > Encyclopedias > Veterinary
- Books > Medical Books > Veterinary Medicine
- Books > Science & Math > Agricultural Sciences > Animal Husbandry
- Books > Science & Math > Biological Sciences > Zoology > Mammals
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine > Veterinary Medicine