- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
The Cat in the Hat Beginner Book Dictionary Hardcover – Aug 12 1964
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
A decades-old dictionary that you can still use today (and know that children will love it) is an amazing testament to the genius of the Seuss stable. The roughly 12-per-page colored drawings are dated, of course--the humans far more than the animals, funnily enough--but they've aged in a way that adds to their charm rather than detracting from it. (Phonograph may take some explaining; ditto typewriter, which we recently heard described as "like a computer, only with paper instead of a screen.") The 1,350 words are well balanced between the obvious stuff--common nouns and verbs--and more abstract language, from about to yet. Each word is accompanied by a drawing and an illustrative sentence. Along the way, naturally, we meet a wacky menagerie of humans and animals: "Aaron the alligator making more machines," "Aunt Ada standing on her head," etc. (Ages 4 to 8) --Richard Farr
From the Inside Flap
Illus. in full color. "The picture carries the meaning in this dictionary of over a thousand elementary words from 'Aaron' the alligator to a nest full of 'zyxuzpf' birds. The book gets a large 'A' for its commonsense-through-nonsense approach to reading." "The New York Times.See all Product Description
Top Customer Reviews
Most recent customer reviews
People learn their native languages not with grammatical details and dictionary definitions but with images. This book invite young English learners to fun language learning.Published on March 3 2014 by *
One of my favorites as a child and now one of my daughter's favorites too.
I recommend this for any 3 yr old.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Children's Books > Education & Reference > Reading & Writing > Vocabulary & Spelling
- Books > Children's Books > Education & Reference > Reference > Dictionaries
- Books > Children's Books > Literature & Fiction > Chapter Books & Readers > Beginner Readers
- Books > Education & Reference > Dictionaries & Thesauruses > Picture
- Books > Kids & Family Store > Ages 4-8