The Chasm Companion Paperback – Aug 8 2002
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Fans of Geoffrey Moore's Crossing the Chasm and Inside the Tornado will certainly be attracted to The Chasm Companion, a step-by-step manual by longtime Moore associate Paul Wiefels that lays out specific ways to apply his popular tech-oriented business principles in our fast-changing world. But even those who never warmed to the earlier works--which proposed a pragmatic path for successfully navigating the ever-moving environment of "disruptive technologies that force changes in both strategy and behavior"--could find this book appealing. Designing The Chasm Companion as a hands-on field guide, Wiefels opens by explaining six "inflection points" in high-tech market development (the Early Market, the Chasm, the Bowling Alley, the Tornado, Main Street, Total Assimilation) that he and Moore insist everyone must carefully watch and properly react to as internal and external conditions evolve. He then outlines models and tools developed in the consulting practice he co-founded with Moore that enable individual corporations to carefully craft relevant strategies that they can align correctly with the appropriate market phases defined earlier. Finally, he presents initiatives (strategy validation, whole product management, marketing communications planning, and field engagement strategy) to help these firms actually implement their plans. Graphics and sidebars help Wiefels drive his points home clearly. --Howard Rothman
Wiefels and partner Geoffrey Moore are cofounders of the Chasm Group, a Silicon Valley high-tech consulting firm. This is a guide to understanding and implementing the market-development strategies described in Moore's best-sellers Inside the Tornado (1995) and Crossing the Chasm (1999). The partners have developed a model called the technology adoption life cycle (TALC), which describes how communities of people adopt innovations and integrate them into mainstream life. The chasm phase is a product-development black hole, a period of time in which products that show promise are ignored by the public at large. Other stages described on the path to total assimilation by the culture are the bowling alley, the tornado, and Main Street. The book offers real-life management formulas for guiding high-tech innovations through these treacherous phases of development. Wiefels' experience in the field gives readers an edge in anticipating the pitfalls unique to each phase. His introduction to the TALC is clear and informative; the descriptions of market-development strategies are exhaustive and detailed. David Siegfried
Copyright © American Library Association. All rights reserved
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
After reading the book I have two statements:
1. The book delivers some more hands on the two books it referrers to, some really good lists. All in all about nine pages of good ROI-of time material.
2. I am very sad that Wiefelds did not listen to his own good recommendation: don't talk about your product as you know it - know your target group! Wiefelds should know that I am not planning on reading this book for fun - I want a high gain/time-quota, not 352 pages that take a week to read, when a 20 page leaflet would be sufficient! Because the book is repetitive - very!
The book offers some good hands on tips and lists, but should have been a 20 page leaflet.
One key new idea was the extension of the Gorilla-Chimp-Monkey paradigm to the King-Prince-Serf model which is similar but corresponds to the case where there is no technology architecture lock-in.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business & Investing > Biography & History > Company Profiles
- Books > Business & Investing > Management & Leadership > Systems & Planning
- Books > Business & Investing > Marketing & Sales > Marketing > Multilevel
- Books > Business & Investing > Marketing & Sales > Marketing > Research
- Books > Business & Investing > Marketing & Sales > Public Relations
- Books > Business & Investing > Popular Economics
- Books > Professional & Technical > Business Management > Management & Leadership > Systems & Planning
- Books > Professional & Technical > Business Management > Marketing & Sales > Marketing > Multilevel
- Books > Professional & Technical > Business Management > Marketing & Sales > Marketing > Research
- Books > Professional & Technical > Business Management > Marketing & Sales > Public Relations
- Books > Science & Math > History & Philosophy > History of Technology