- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Chaucer on Love, Knowledge and Sight Hardcover – May 9 2007
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
A treasure of examples expressing the interwovenness of love, knowledge and sight... Highly original and well-founded research... a significant contribution to our knowledge about an important part of the intellectual world surrounding (Chaucer). ENGLISH STUDIES
From the Back Cover
In this study Norman Klassen shows how Chaucer explores the complexity of the relationship between love and knowledge through recourse to the motif of sight. The author argues that Chaucer is unorthodox in exploiting the possibilities for using sight both to express emotional experience and to accentuate rationality at the same time. The conventional opposition of love and knowledge in the phenomenon of love at first sight gives way in Chaucer's development of love, knowledge, and sight to a symbiosis in his love poetry. The complexity of this relationship draws attention to his own role as artificer, as one who in the process of articulating the effects of love at first sight cannot help but bring together love and knowledge in ways not anticipated by the conventions of love poetry.See all Product Description
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Classics
- Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > Movements & Periods > Medieval
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Poetry > Love Poems
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Poetry > Single Authors > British & Irish
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Philosophy > Metaphysics
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Religious Studies > History
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Literature > English Literature
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Religious Studies > Religious History