- Product Dimensions: 34.3 x 34.3 x 5.1 cm
- Shipping Weight: 318 g
- Item model number: 102-124-005
- ASIN: B002846DMU
- Date first available at Amazon.ca: Oct. 9 2010
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #708,295 in Home (See Top 100 in Home)
Chef'n Sleekstor Large VeggiSteam 11-Inch Silicone Steamer, Cherry
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- Large silicone vegetable steamer, great for bigger pots and bigger vegetables, ideal size for artichokes
- Sleek lines, expanded surface area
- Will not stain, top rack dishwasher safe, safe to use in microwave
- 650ºF / 340ºC heat-resistant silicone
- Inspired, effective, agile, inventive, adaptive – by Chef n
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
With its sleek lines and expanded surface area the Chef n SleekStor Large VeggiSteam Silicone Steamer is a steaming revolution. Bigger vegetables need bigger pots and bigger pots need bigger steamers. This large, steamer is perfect for large pots and large vegetables – like artichokes. It has a silicone body with a nylon core, it is 650 DegreeF (340 DegreeC) heat resistant! It will not stain or retain food tastes and odors. All VeggiSteams are top rack dishwasher safe and safe to use in the microwave. Cherry color. 11-inch in diameter. Made by Chef n. Chef n began twenty years ago based on the principle that kitchen products could be a lot smarter, easier and more fun. Right from day one, Chef n found an audience hungry for its brand of Tasteful Ingenuity. Today that legacy lives on with the precision refinements to acclaimed inventions, new technologies, design techniques, and entirely new products.
|5 star (0%)|
|4 star (0%)|
|3 star (0%)|
|2 star (0%)|
|1 star (0%)|
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
Things I like about it:
- Color options. Just a little splash of color make it a little bit more fun in some way. At least to my wife.
- Silicone is heat resistant. I usually can touch the steamer itself without worry of it being too hot to touch.
- Does not scrape pot/pan it is being used in as some metal ones might.
- Microwaveable - but I don't think i'll use this option since I don't want the microwave to be cooking my veggies too.
- Dishwasher proof - Had no issues with using the dishwasher to clean it.
- Fairly cheap
- Cleaning by hand is pretty simple and fast.
Things I still would like:
- May be nicer if there was an option with longer legs so I could possible boil something underneath while the veggies cook. Also longer legs may allow for maybe two to be purchased and have it be stackable as well (if the pot you're using is big enough). Stackable also means I could possibly cook more veggies at once since you don't typically want to cram all your veggies into the steamer.
I think this steamer is good for 1-2 person use or basically if you're only going to be cooking small batches of veggies at a time. If you want to steam lots of food (veggies, fish, dumplings, etc) at one time in parallel, then there may be better options for you. I do still give this product five stars since it does what I expected it to do for my purposes. I may find myself getting a multiple tier one in the future if I find myself wanting to steam more than I can currently with this product (or use something like the 2 tier bamboo ones in conjunction with this one - as one can sit in the pot and the other can sit on top possibly).
Been using the steamer for small things over my bamboo steamer. I did find one time that the steamer let me down and that was when I filled up the steamer with large chunks of broccoli. I don't think I filled it up too much, but the sides of the steamer wasn't able to hold the weight and it ended up bending and letting the broccoli on the edges fall into the water =(. Lesson learned. It's still good, but I just try and make sure not to fill it up too much.
I can't say how it'll hold up to use, though it does appear to be well-made. Still, I'm quite disappointed that this product was advertised to have a much higher tolerance to heat than the packaging materials indicate.
Silicone is very gentle to your pots. If you have expensive pots or Teflon coated pots, you can be sure they will be safe. Another advantage of silicone is that it is resistant to food stain and smell.
I would recommend the bigger one as it comes in two sizes, an 8-1/2 and the 11 inch. The edges are soft so it will conform to the size of your pots.
The only negative I can think of is price. There are not a lot of these on the market; We need more to bring down the price. I think twelve bucks is a good price as oppose to almost twenty bucks (shipped) I paid for the 11-inch.
Make sure you have enough water to prevent the steamer from being burned.
I purchased this product so I could quickly steam veggies to make baby food. Which the size would be perfect for, however I can imagine if you are cooking for more than two this would not be the item for you. It is very small. It is also very difficult to handle: It is pliable but rigid and one removed from the pot it snaps back flat. In the times I have used it, trying to maneuver it out of the pot all of the veggies fell into the water. Also, I am not sure if this is made for non-stick pots only or not, but the legs melted in the pot I used (not a non-stick). So I am extremely disappointed and now have a ruined pot. There was enough water in the pot and everything and the pot was being used on medium heat, which according to the label, the steamer should be able to tolerate. However, it did not. I had melted silicone all over the bottom of the pot. Plus, because it is silicone, I am wary to use it again and the ruined pot again because of the substance and chemical. I know the product is BPA free, but it makes me nervous with the odor and residue from melting. Especially since I am using this to make baby food... Well not anymore.
A word to the wise, be careful with this product. For me, it was a total waste of money. I think I may call and try to return it, if possible.