- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Civil Rights in Wartime: The Post-9/11 Sikh Experience Hardcover – Nov 28 2009
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
'In Civil Rights in Wartime: The Post 9/11 Sikh Experience, authors Sidhu and Gohil remind America of the need to guard closely against the human propensity to let ignorance and fear prevail against our better sensibilities, especially during wartime. They provide a much-needed and valuable contribution to our awareness of how times of war can all too often obscure even the most fundamental liberties. Raised in the Japanese-American internment camps during WWII, I second the authors' call for increased vigilance. The Sikh-American experience must be our last, not merely our latest, breach of civil rights. We can, and must, do better.' United States Congressman Michael Honda 'After 9/11, those who were perceived to be Muslim - including turban-wearing Sikhs - suffered from discrimination around the world. This illuminating and troubling book explores the range of discrimination experienced by Sikhs and examines legal and political solutions. It should galvanize the Sikh civil rights movement - and everyone who cares about liberty and justice in an age of terror.' Jeffrey Rosen, author of The Unwanted Gaze and The Naked Crowd
About the Author
Dawinder S. Sidhu is Founding Director of the Discrimination and National Security Initiative, Pluralism Project, at Harvard University, and an attorney whose practice focuses on individual rights and national security.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Americas > United States > African Americans > Discrimination & Racism
- Books > History > United States > African Americans > Discrimination & Racism
- Books > Law > Academic Materials
- Books > Law > Administrative Law > Public
- Books > Law > Constitutional Law
- Books > Law > International Law
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Current Events > Civil Rights & Liberties
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Current Events > Terrorism
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics > Terrorism
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Discrimination & Racism
- Books > Textbooks > Law > Constitutional Law
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Political Science