CliffsTestPrep DAT Paperback – Feb 16 2007
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
Your guide to a higher score on the DAT
Why CliffsTestPrep Guides?
Go with the name you know and trust
Get the information you needfast!
Written by test-prep specialists
About the contents:
Part I: Introduction
- Overview of the DAT and scoring guidelines
- Test-taking tips and strategies
Part II: Subject Reviews
- Covers four areas tested on the DAT: Natural Sciences (Biology and Chemistry), Perceptual Ability, Reading Comprehension, and Quantitative Reasoning
- Includes question/answer format and answer explanations
Part III: DAT Practice Tests
- Contains four parts like the DAT
- Consists of multiple-choice questions followed by answers and explanations
CD-ROM with All Questions in the Book, Including 3 Practice Tests, Answers, and Detailed Explanations
- Test mode allows immediate feedback on a question-by-question basis
- Provides experience answering questions electronically
Test-Prep Essentials from the Experts at CliffsNotes®
An American BookWorks Corporation Project
Contributors: Tracy Howard, PhD; Sasheena A. Kurfman; Dai Chinh Phan, DDS, MS, BSAE; Walter Voland, PhD; Mark Weinfield, MA
More than Notes!
CliffsAP® CliffsComplete® CliffsQuickReview® CliffsTestPrep® CliffsStudySolver
About the Author
Since 1976, American BookWorks Corporation has been producing and publishing a wide variety of educational books for many of the major publishing houses. The company specializes in test preparation books, as well as K–12 review books and study guides. In its role as a book producer, it functions as a “co-publisher,” providing publishers with strong editorial, marketing, and technological expertise, based on more than 30 years of experience.
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
So basically, I found it to be helpful, but out of everything (Kaplan, Topscore), it was the least helpful.
The only redeeming feature is the PAT section, since it provides you with more practice on various shapes for TFE and patterns for Folding.
Overall, I feel this book can only at best serve as a supplementary to more comprehensive review books. Perhaps this book can be used to pinpoint basic ideas in Biology, Chemistry, and Organic Chemistry that you are weak in, but do not expect the book to be challenging.
The book comes with three practice tests, two in the book, and one more on its CD-ROM. Since more practice is better, this system exceeds the Kaplan DAT book's 2 tests. Also, many of the science questions have detailed explanations of the answers, something that is quite helpful when you get a question wrong. The test questions are less difficult than the KAPLAN or TopScore practice tests, and more in-line with the level of difficulty on the actual DAT. A good confidence booster, though I also appreciate the more difficult questions.
The format of the book's actual text is definitely just a review of the science topics in the DAT. If you needed to learn some topics instead of reviewing them, this book would be a disappointment.
The single biggest problem with this book is the inaccuracies in its practice tests. Some answers are just plain wrong, some questions have one answer duplicated in the possible answers, and some questions give the wrong answer, but then explain the right answer in the explanation section. When I went through the practice science tests I found 6 mistakes, and I'm by no means an expert. Granted, looking up the mistakes to confirm that they were mistakes cemented the concepts in my brain, but they could be quite misleading.
The Bottom Line:
If the publisher released a subsequent edition that fixed the books inaccuracies, it would be an excellent resource to get more practice before the actual DAT. However, even with those inaccuracies fixed, its review section would not be as effective as the Kaplan DAT book. In addition, it's MSRP seems a bit high for a thin, flimsy book.
The practice test is a joke! It tells you the answer after each question and doesn't have the same workspace as you will have on the test. Due to the errors in the science section I don't even trust this book to study the other sections.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education & Reference > Higher & Continuing Education > Graduate School > Medical School Guides
- Books > Education & Reference > Schools & Teaching
- Books > Education & Reference > Test Preparation > College & University > College Entrance
- Books > Education & Reference > Test Preparation > Testing
- Books > Medical Books > Dentistry
- Books > Medical Books > Medicine > Reference > Education & Training > Medical School Guides
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Education
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Medicine
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Science
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine > Dentistry
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine > Education & Training > Medical School Guides
- Books > Teens > Reference > College & University Bound > Test Guides > College Entrance
- Books > Textbooks > Medicine > Dentistry > General
- Books > Textbooks > Test Prep & Study Guides