- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
A Clinical Handbook In Adolescent Medicine: A Guide For Health Professionals Who Work With Adolescents And Young Adults Hardcover – Apr 11 2013
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the Inside Flap
This book will be extremely useful to any health professional who deals with adolescents and young adults, whether in paediatric or adult acute care facilities or as primary care clinicians. As a handbook, it provides ready access to clinically relevant, adolescent specific information for anyone who treats young people.
The book is important because it fills a gap in the market. Most adolescent texts are written by paediatricians for paediatricians. This book has a broader scope in two important aspects of adolescent medicine. First, many adolescents are looked after by adult trained clinicians who have not had specific training in adolescent health and secondly, the conditions that are important in adolescents are also those that are important in young adults. With the increased survival rates in chronic illness over the last few decades, it is becoming even more important for adult clinicians to be more familiar with conditions that have their origins in childhood.
Each chapter is written by an expert in their field, with a highly practical approach and provides an excellent and easy way to increase clinical skills.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
They have gathered 85 professionals from Australia, United Kingdom, United States, Canada and India to produce 52 chapters on many aspects of adolescent medicine and health.
This book spans from a discussion on normal physical development and growth at puberty in chapter 1 to cardiovascular risk factors and atherosclerosis in chapter 52. In between you will find chapters on communicating with adolescents, transition issues, alcohol, dying, obesity, sports, cancer and much more. Each chapter has more or less the same format with introduction, assessment, discussion, management and conclusions.
I looked especially at the chapter by Helen Somerville from Children's Hospital in Westmead and Cameron Ly from Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in Sydney on “Adolescent and young adult with intellectual disability and complex health needs”, which is a welcome chapter in this comprehensive handbook. Children with chronic disease and disability today live into adolescence and adulthood, which is therefore a good reason for this chapter. In a short review they discuss spina bifida, cerebral palsy and Down syndrome from a holistic health approach.
All in all a good resource for health professionals working with this age group.
Professor Joav Merrick, MD, MMedSci, DMSc, Medical Director, Health Services, Division for Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, Ministry of Social Affairs and Social Services, POBox 1260, IL-91012 Jerusalem, Israel. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Medical Books > Administration & Medicine Economics > Health Care Delivery
- Books > Medical Books > Medicine > Internal Medicine > Pathology > Diseases
- Books > Medical Books > Medicine > Internal Medicine > Pediatrics
- Books > Medical Books > Nursing
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine > Administration & Policy > Health Care Delivery
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine > Diseases
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine > Internal Medicine
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine > Nursing
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine > Specialties > Pediatrics
- Books > Textbooks > Medicine > Administration & Policy > Health Care Delivery
- Books > Textbooks > Medicine > Medicine > Clinical > Diseases
- Books > Textbooks > Medicine > Medicine > Clinical > Internal Medicine
- Books > Textbooks > Medicine > Medicine > Clinical > Pediatrics
- Books > Textbooks > Medicine > Nursing > General