Colonial Fantasies: Towards a Feminist Reading of Orientalism Paperback – Jun 13 1998
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Colonial Fantasies, first published in 1998, examines the Western fascination with the veiled women of the Orient. It challenges dualistic conceptions of identity and difference, West and East, and questions the traditional masculinist assumptions of Orientalism and feminist discourses which seek to 'liberate' the veiled woman.
About the Author
Yegenoglu-Middle East Technical University, Turkey
Jeffrey C. Alexander is a Professor at the depatment of Sociology at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). He has been a Fellow at the Princeton Institute for Advanced Studies and at SCASSS in Sweden. His other books include "Twenty Lectures: Sociological Theory since World War Two" (Columbia, 1987); "Action and its Environments" (Columbia, 1988); "Fin-de-Siecle Social Theory" (Verso, 1995); "Neofunctionalism" (Sage, 1985), "Culture and Society: Contemporary Debates" (with Steven Seidman, Cambridge, 1990).
Steven Seidman has lectured widely in the United States and Europe on the topic of sexuality. He is the author of many books, including Romantic Longings: Love in America, 1830 1980, Embattled Eros: Sexual Ethics and Politics in America, Queer Theory/Sociology, and Beyond the Closet: The Transformation of Gay and Lesbian Life. He currently teaches sociology at the State University of New York at Albany.
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Books & Reading > Women Writers & Feminist Theory
- Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > Criticism & Theory > Feminist
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Gender Studies
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Sociology
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Special Groups > Ethnic Studies
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Women's Studies > Feminist Criticism
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Women's Studies > Feminist Theory
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Women's Studies > Women Writers
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Humanities
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Social Sciences
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Literature
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Gender Studies