- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
CompTIA Security+ Certification Study Guide (Exam SY0-301) Paperback – Sep 7 2011
|New from||Used from|
There is a newer edition of this item:
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
Glen E. Clarke (Halifax, NS) holds a number of industry certifications such as Microsoft’s MCSE, MCSD, MCSA Messaging, and MCSA Security. He also holds a number of CompTIA certifications, including CompTIA Security+, CompTIA Network+, and CompTIA A+, in addition to the Prosoft Security Analyst (CIW SA) certification. Glen is an experienced trainer, author, and technical editor, and works for GigaBlink Technologies Inc., a training and consulting company located in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. Glen is also an active member of the High Technology Crime Investigation Association (HTCIA).
Top Customer Reviews
I have read this book and really like the layout. Where I felt the book required more explanation there was always supplemental information, and I would often catch myself watching the videos ahead of where I was reading. I have these books at my desk and like to reference them when needed as the information in these books (Net+ and Security+) is very useful in my work but not used regularly enough to not need a reference manual. The author provides a very clear description of the topic, then gives an example and for the most part finishes off with an exercise to reinforce understanding. As a quick refresher I would normally just run through an exercise. I like the "on the job" comments.
I use the certification books as reference guides in my work environment as this is what I am familiar with. The layout is clean, direct and CompTIA is such a recognised name never hurts to have that on the wall in your office. Currently I am a Migration Engineer that migrates networks from IBM and Novell to Windows and cloud environments.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Glen Clarke's book is well written and I found it to be easy to follow and not a dry read at all! However, I really don't think just reading this book alone will get you a passing score on the test.
The review questions at the end of each chapter were very helpful and allowed me to test my grasp of the topics covered. By the way, one reason the book has so many pages compared to others is that the answer page for the end of chapter questions also contains the questions! I found this to be a real convenience as I didn't have to flip back to the questions pages but it isn't the best use of paper.
During my prep, I also went through the review questions on Wm. Arthur Conklin's book (isbn# 9780071771474) and realized that I scored poorly in the following chapters of Conklin's book:
1. Regulatory laws, privacy and ethics (There was no coverage of these topics in Glen's book!)
2. Types of attacks/Malicious software
3. Email and IM security
So I read those 3 chapters in Conklin's book to buff up. However, in the version of the exam I took, I don't believe I faced many questions related to #1 other than HIPAA.
I also went through Glen Clarke's Security+ Practice Exams book (isbn#0071771204)while preparing for the test and found the questions to be very helpful.
This is the only study material I used. Great book, easy read, highly recommend.
On the downside - the exam engine that is used kinda sucks. When you complete the exam, you can view a report of how you did. The report is simply a list of the questions you got wrong with what the right answers are. There's no mention of what answer you marked, so you can't see what you picked or why it was wrong. That's kind of annoying.
So, outside of the functionality of the exam engine (the flashcards are pretty cool though), great book.
A+, Net+, Security+, MCTS, MCSA
Shameless Self Promotion
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business & Investing > Industries & Professions > E-commerce
- Books > Computers & Technology > Certification Central > A+
- Books > Computers & Technology > Certification Central > CompTIA
- Books > Computers & Technology > Certification Central > Exams > A+
- Books > Computers & Technology > Computer Science > Software Engineering > Information Systems
- Books > Computers & Technology > Hardware > Internet & Networking
- Books > Computers & Technology > Hardware > PCs
- Books > Computers & Technology > History & Culture > Privacy
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Internet, Groupware, & Telecommunications
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Network Administration
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Network Security
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Networks, Protocols & APIs
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Algorithms > Cryptography
- Books > Computers & Technology > Security & Encryption > Cryptography
- Books > Computers & Technology > Security & Encryption > Privacy & Online Safety
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Networking