Echo Spot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire TV Stick Basic Edition WFM home Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools Nintendo Labo is available now

on May 20, 2015
Oh me, oh my, Rebecca Rupp is a godsend!!! When the package arrived I was quite dumbfounedd since its size was quadruple what I was expecting and then came the real gift when I opened it --- Yes, yes, yes, it lives up to its name of "The Essential Resource Guide for Homeschoolers..." The book is a great springboard into a deep pool of knowledge and wisdom on "every subject from arithmetic to zoology" with mentions of topics too (e.g., etiquette, Amish). I joyously look foward to, as encouraged by Ms. Rupp's other treasure Home Learning Year by Year, "[designing my] own curricula...that best suit [the] children's needs" and aspirations. These two fabulous gems have solidified the acquisition of Rebecca Rupp's other books -- the journal of her homeschooling experiences, the one science, birds... Many people must've written to you to gratefully and graciously say, "Thank you for saving my child/ren's life/lives. You, Rebecca Rupp, are the blessing and blessed."
on November 6, 2006
As other reviewers have stated, this book is a heaven-sent resource for homeschoolers. The amount of fun and fascinating materials Rupp lists in the book is staggering. Her descriptions of everything are well written and helpful too. This book would be especially helpful for those wanting to create Unit Studies, as materials are listed by subject (for example there are several pages alone of materials relating to the Vikings).

However as of the writing of this review it is late 2006, and the book is a full 8 years old. Many of the internet links listed in the book are dead, and I am sure that despite its impressive size, the book is now incomplete. Many resources have been published with homeschooling in mind in the past 8 years and none of them will be in this book.

I wish the publisher would ask Ms. Rupp to do an updated version. However, in the meantime this book is still highly useful and I would recommend it.
on September 5, 2000
When I borrowed this book from the library I actually read it cover to cover. It is more than just a list of books. Rebecca Rupp has done exhaustive research. She has given the home schooler (or the parent wishing to augment the education of their kids) a tremendous resource. Rupp has divided the book up into different sections according to subject-not just the three 'Rs, but also such things as philosophy, art, music...you name it. The age suggestions seem very accurate as well. Since people home school for a lot of different reasons, she also mentions if a book is religious or Christian, or a purely secular resource. I have used many of the websites that she lists, as well as sending away for a number of the catalogs that she lists. As someone relatively new to the home school scene, I also enjoyed the personal accounts of her three sons' educational experiences. I borrowed the book from our library first, but have since purchased my very own copy!
on February 1, 1999
This book is a wonderful resource. Although I am not a homeschooling parent (this book is making me reconsider my choice, however), this book gives me plenty of ideas for activities for after school hours. The best part of the book I found the excerpts from Ms. Rupp's home schooling journal over the years. I hope she will publish her journal one day. I highly recommend this book.
on March 29, 2001
I have homeschooled all my children all their lives. I have taught in public school. I tutor math, science, English and history. In every subject, every grade, I depend on this book for new, innovative ideas and resources to use. There is no other book that I have that I use nearly as much. Thank you Ms. Rupp!
on January 24, 2003
What can I say that has not already been said? This book has helped me find books, software and sites to aid in our studies on various topics. This is a thick, deeply developed book that really is a must have for homeschoolers.
on September 21, 2001
Wow, its huge. Its packed with sources. For anyone looking for educational materials for their kids, this is a must-have. It is maybe not as complete as the title suggests, but then it would have to be a 3 volume set. also includes a few interesting excerpts from the authors home-schooling diary.