- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Computer Intrusion Detection and Network Monitoring: A Statistical Viewpoint Paperback – Sep 21 2011
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the reviews:
"After reading this book…I believe that many readers would benefit from the skillful joint development of problem context and statistical application. As a bridge between the computer science and mathematical communities, this book is a fine addition to both the computer science and statistics literature and will likely stimulate valuable research by awakening mathematicians and statisticians to the potential of the problems in this area…This book would be appropriate for an upper-level undergraduate or graduate course in computer science and statistics. It would also be a useful introductory reference for the mathematics and statistics researcher who would like to pursue problems in this area. It is both informative and accessible."
SHORT BOOK REVIEWS
"The book provides an excellent introduction to the area. I recommend it to any computer- (and Unix-) literate statistcian who wishes to make an impact in an area, which will continue to be of great importance."
ISI Short Book Reviews, April 2002
"This book is a very good text on intrusion detection, written by an author who has direct practical experience … . Each chapter has a rich and detailed annotated bibliography, which makes this text a true gold-mine for researchers and practitioners. … the book is a good example of cross-fertilization between the networking and statistical fields, and will be appreciated both by the specialist and the general reader. It is an example … of interdisciplinarity, which is necessary in fields so complex as computer security." (Antonio Lioy, The Computer Journal, Vol. 45 (6), 2002)
"This book is about one of those areas that provides rich opportunities for statisticians … . The tools for computer intrusion detection are essentially statistical … . The book effectively provides the necessary background material for this intensely jargon-strewn area. The book includes many real examples … . The book provides an excellent introduction to the area. I recommend it to any computer- (and Unix-) literate statistician who wishes to make an impact in an area, which will continue to be of great importance." (D. J. Hand, Short Book Reviews, Vol. 22 (1), 2002)
About the Author
DAVID J. MARCHETTE, PhD, is a researcher at the Naval Surface Warfare Center in Dahlgren, Virginia, where he investigates computational statistics and pattern recognition, primarily as it applies to image processing, automatic target recognition, and computer security. He is also an adjunct professor at George Mason University and a lecturer at Johns Hopkins University.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
The book focuses on practical approaches to computing useful estimators, including performance optimisation for real-time analysis. It also has examples of data visualisation methods.
Despite its compact size, the scope of the book is quite broad, ranging from traffic modeling, to user profiling, to viral epidemiology. It describes various attack types. It also covers some useful tools for data acquisition, integrity checking, etc.
I did have to go back to my old textbooks to fill in the gaps in my grasp of probability density functions, but the concepts are discussed clearly.
The only slight criticism, is that commercial IDS/IPS systems have come so far since the book was written, and the scale of the problem has also expanded exponentially. I would like to see a revised edition some time. However, the theory and most of the practicalities discussed still hold, and the book should still be useful for some time to come.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Computer Science > Artificial Intelligence > Computer Vision & Pattern Recognition
- Books > Computers & Technology > Computer Science > Information Theory
- Books > Computers & Technology > Databases > Distributed Databases
- Books > Computers & Technology > Hardware > Internet & Networking
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Network Administration > Storage & Retrieval
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Network Security
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Networks, Protocols & APIs > Networks
- Books > Computers & Technology > Web Development > Security & Encryption > Encryption
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Mathematics > Applied
- Books > Science & Math > Mathematics > Applied > Probability & Statistics
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Computer Science
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Networking
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Mathematics > Statistics