Cops and Cowboys Paperback – Sep 1 2005
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Two weeks later, Allie finally has a slight breakdown, which prompts her to do some soul-searching. She's not happy - not with her job, her life, her lack of friends. She decides to leave her job, change her looks and her life, and make some new friends. Allie is going to start taking care of Allie for a change. A memorable trip to Ireland leaves her with a romantic momento, and she's now ready to go back home, where at the airport she encounters Alex for the first time in months. Alex isn't prepared for the new Allie, nor the jealous streak he discovers when he thinks of her with another man. No, Alex realizes that the friend he's known for years is a sexy, fiesty woman who makes him hot. But will she be able to handle the dark fantasies that excite him? And will he be able to convince her that he truly loves her, and wants to spend his life with her?
"Her Wildest Dreams" is a sexy, exciting story about a woman who discovers herself and her fantasies with the man she's always loved. The images are very graphic, and some may find Allie's and Alex's fantasies a little overwhelming, but rest assured it is all consensual and exists in a loving, trusting relationship that is made stronger by their lifelong friendship that brings happiness to them both. Allie and Alex belong together - their bodies know it, and ultimately so do their hearts. This is a scorching tale of erotic love that is filled with healthy passion and satisfaction that will leave you breathless. Shiloh Walker is a master at her game here, and can write a contemporary story that concentrates on the emotional rather than the paranormal, another area of expertise with the author. Walker fans will not be disappointed.
Fellow erotic romance writer Lora Leigh is another author who knows how to write about a woman's deepest desires. She excels at creating steamy, sexual love stories that embrace those desires without shame, but rather love and understanding between two consenting adults. In "Cowboy and the Captive", Luc Jardin is out for revenge. Years earlier, him and his partner Jack were nearly killed by betrayal of a sexy, lying redhead named Maria, and Luc doesn't plan to let her get away with it. Putting his plan into action, he kidnaps the deceitful woman, who claims she is not who he thinks she is. Her name is Melina Catarina Angeles, and she is the twin sister of the woman he hates. Only Luc doesn't believe her. He knows Maria doesn't have a sister. And now he is going to make her pay for what she did to him by putting her to work at his ranch, among other things.
Melina is desperate to escape. Knowing she will never win the love of her parents who have doted on Maria for years, Melina continues to suffer unjustly on her sister's behalf. She still has nightmares from a traumatic experience she had from protecting her sister. Now the man who arouses her more than any man she's ever known hates her, and is determined to exact his revenge by kidnapping her and forcing her to his will. Knowing what her selfish sister is capable of, she understands the rage Luc feels for her, but she still she tries to convince him of her innocence. When he refuses to believe her, she knows the only thing left to do is escape. Only he finds her...
Luc is surprised by this Maria. She grudgingly does the chores he assigns and though she's attracted to him, she's also terrified of him, which Luc doesn't understand. Waking up to her screams from one of her nightmares, he slowly begins to realize that something isn't right. She's way too innocent, way too classy to be the same woman from two years ago. But how is that possible? And why is it that she makes him hot enough to lose control? She has a tendency to get really excited by his desires, and maybe, just maybe, she really is the woman she says she is...
Innocent though she may be, Melina loves Luc's aggressive nature, and revels in his dominance while Luc can't get enough of Melina's responsive, passionate nature. Exploring their fantasies, Luc and Melina find a love that neither thought possible, but now can't live without. Will Maria destroy their happiness to save herself, or will they discover the truth before it's too late? Lora Leigh brings her trademark heat to the table in this sizzling story of mistaken identity and revenge that culminates in a powerful love story. Fans will appreciate the trust and emotion Leigh threads through her stories, as well as the longing felt by many who share the same fantasies. Another winner from the woman who brought us the Men of August.
Her Wildest Dreams by Shiloh Walker
I loved how Allie the mouse had all these secret kinky fantasies and how she broke out of her shell. It's always the quiet ones! Alex was a perfect match for her - sexy, rough and dominant. Their sex scenes were scorching hot, no holes (er holds) barred, and hit all my personal buttons :-) These 2 really belong together and Shiloh convinces us there's genuine love here, not just sexual compatibility. (Warning: this is not for the faint of heart, Allie and Alex indulge in everything up to and including forced sex fantasies). If it was just for the wonderful romance and sex, I'd give this hot little number 6 stars. However I had 2 issues here.
1) Allie has sex with another man after having sex with Alex. I hate this in romances when the hero does it, and when the heroine does it it's no better. I understand that Allie felt rejected by Alex after their night together. I understand her going to Ireland and flirting with another man while "finding" herself. But sleeping with a stranger she's known for just a few days? When she was a virgin just a couple of weeks ago? Calling out his name in orgasm? I really didn't need to read these details.
2) Alex has had threesomes with Allie's brother Mike and Mike's wife Lori. Ugh!! I've read the prequel Good Girls Don't, Mike and Lori's story (it's only available in e-book but you won't miss anything if you skip it). There are references to Mike and Alex sharing women in the past. But there is no scene or hint that they and Lori had a menage, on the contrary Mike snarled every time Alex admired Lori's butt or hinted at anything. (I love a possessive, snarling alpha man!). Is the author saying that after the end of Good Girls Don't, when Mike and Lori are a couple, they had a threesome? Way to posthumously ruin my enjoyment of that story. And even apart from that, it's creepy that Allie's true love is a guy who's had sex with her sister-in-law and brother.
Shiloh is one of my favorite romantica authors and I hate to be hard on her, but these 2 things seriously dampened my enjoyment of an otherwise sterling read. Still 6 stars less 2 stars is still 4 stars for this one.
Cowboy and the Captive by Lora Leigh
I've never been a big fan of Lora Leigh, maybe because I'm not a fan of paranormals or menages. I've heard she's writes very steamy sex, but the sex in this novella was nowhere near as hot as Shiloh's. Maybe the lack of threesomes or animal DNA left her uninspired. The sex scenes were ok, just a lot tamer than I expected from a woman-taken-captive-by-hot-rough-stranger-seeking-revenge story.
Nevertheless this revenge story did have a lot of potential, I just felt the storyline didn't go anywhere. The characterizations were problematic too. Melina was ok as a put-upon daughter finally putting her foot down, but by immediately being taken captive by the hero, she always seemed a victim instead of a strong woman. Luc was supposed to be smart and alpha, but by not doing his homework to make sure he had the right woman, and refusing to even believe there could be twins, he just came across as dumb and arrogant. Maria could have been painted with subtlety but the author wrote her with such a lack of nuance, she became a parody of a poster girl for a Just Say No To Drugs campaign. The parents were frankly unbelievable in the way they favored Maria above their other children. And my biggest peeve: a scene of the hero getting an expert BJ from the heroine's sister, in detail. Ugh! 3 stars.
1) Her Wildest Dreams by Shiloh Walker - Definately a five star read. I'd give it six or seven stars if I could. This is a sequel to "Good Girls Don't" (which I have only been able to find in e-book form). As a warning, Allie and Alex like sex rough, raw and no-holds barred. This story is one of the hottest I've ever read and at the same time the love story aspect is very emotional. In my opinion, this is Walker's best.
2) Cowboy and the Captive by Lora Leigh - This one would rate about four stars for me. While the storyline is good, I didn't like the premise, but Leigh is a good enough writer she could have pulled it off had she expanded this into a longer, book-length story. In direct contrast to Walker's story, this one takes a huge step back from sex. Because Leigh is so known for her sexy stories, and because EC teamed it with such an over-the-top-hot tale, I really was expecting more steam from this one. Leigh kept the focus firly on the storyline, though, which involved twin confusion (one of my peeves) and pulls in a cameo from one of the August brothers.
No matter your mood, this two-in-one will have a story to suit you. if you want drama, read Leigh. If you want sexy, read Walker. It's an excellent duo and well worth the purchase price.
1 star for this...this thing
Cowboy and the Captive - This was, at first, annoying. I hate mistaken identity stories because either the hero is so arrogant about it, or the heroine does nothing to prove her innocence. However, this was not the case. Melina admitted she was not who he thought she was, every time, and I loved her character completely. She defended herself and was honest. This was one of Lora Leigh's great stories.
I had to add another star for this story because it really was a pleasure to read.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Gay & Lesbian > Literature & Fiction > Fiction > Erotica
- Books > Gay & Lesbian > Literature & Fiction > Fiction > Lesbian
- Books > Gay & Lesbian > Literature & Fiction > Fiction > Romance
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Anthologies
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Gay & Lesbian > Erotica
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Gay & Lesbian > Lesbian
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Gay & Lesbian > Romance
- Books > Romance > Contemporary > Anthologies
- Books > Romance > Erotica > Anthologies
- Books > Romance > Erotica > Gay & Lesbian