From the Inside Flap
When I wrote the Foreword for Leon's second edition, PHP 4 had just started making it big, taking over the market share from PHP 3. The new version made great promises, and looking back it met all of its promises and more. We can see that at present PHP 4 has no doubt not only replaced almost all PHP 3 installations, but has conquered the Web application development market with its millions of installations and use in enterprise companies.
Today, we are again facing exciting times. PHP 5 is about to be released, promising major improvements to the growing PHP community. As with previous versions, the major improvements are at the language level. Zeev and I redesigned the object model--at last dumping the problematic model, which originated from our work in PHP 3. Some of the other changes we made include:
- Treating objects as handles and not native types, allowing for other new features and fixing some odd behavior.
- Allowing for private, public, and protected access restrictions on members and methods.
- Introducing exception handling a la C++'s try/catch.
- Providing interfaces similar to the ones found in Java giving.
- And lots more...
PHP 5 is also expected to feature improvements and additions in other areas, including better all-around XML support, improved streams support, and more.
In the 3rd edition of Core PHP Programming, Leon has invited my partner Zeev Suraski to cover the PHP 5 language changes. No doubt that Leon's experience in writing PHP books and Zeev's superior knowledge of PHP 5 and its internals have led to a must-buy book for PHP developers.
I hope you enjoy this book and that it accompanies you during the adoption phase of PHP 5.
Andi Gutmans Herzelyia, Israel
From the Back Cover
Fully revised for PHP 5 The authoritative guide to real-world development with the new PHP 5 Brand-new coverage of PHP design patterns, object techniques, and XML Updated coverage of syntax, functions, algorithms, and PHP software engineering Includes 650+ downloadable code examples Co-authored by Zeev Suraski, PHP 5 contributor and Zend Engine 2 co-creator Praise for the third edition:
“In the Third Edition of Core PHP Programming, Leon has invited my partner Zeev Suraski to cover the PHP 5 language changes. Leon’s experience in writing PHP books and Zeev’s superior knowledge of PHP 5 and its internals have led to a must-buy book for PHP developers. I hope you enjoy this book and that it accompanies you during the adoption phase of PHP 5.”
—Andi Gutmans, PHP 5 contributor and Zend Engine 2 co-creator The authoritative guide to PHP 5! Master PHP 5, the easy, high-performance solution for enterprise-class Web development!
Core PHP Programming, Third Edition is the authoritative guide to the brand-new PHP 5. Top PHP developer Leon Atkinson and PHP 5 contributor/Zend Engine 2 co-creator Zeev Suraski cover every facet of real-world PHP development, from basic syntax to state-of-the-art design patterns.
It’s all here: networking, data structures, regular expressions, math, configuration, graphics, MySQL/PostgreSQL support, XML, algorithms, debugging, and much more. Discover how to build enterprise-class applications that use PHP 5’s breakthrough object-oriented features…and leverage the extraordinary Zend Engine 2 performance improvements this book’s co-author helped to implement. Every Core Series book:
Core PHP Programming, Third Edition delivers:
- DEMONSTRATES how to write commercial-quality code
- FEATURES nontrivial programs and examples—no toy code!
- FOCUSES on the features and functions most important to real developers
- PROVIDES objective, unbiased coverage of cutting-edge technologies—no hype!
See all Product description
- Accurate, thorough coverage of PHP 5 syntax, functions, and algorithms
- Step-by-step guidance for PHP 5 database integration and XML development
- Best practices for software design, debugging, and integration