- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
The Cultural Context of Health, Illness, and Medicine, 2nd Edition Paperback – Aug 3 2010
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"Over the years, there have been several texts which introduce the reader to the fields of medical sociology or medical anthropology, but none have been as successful in bringing the two fields together in as clear and engaging a manner as this book....This book will undoubtedly become standard reading for medical students, physicians and other health care providers who serve multicultural, medically underserved populations."-Lawrence A. Palinkas, Ph.D. Professor of Family and Preventive Medicine University of California, San Diego --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
"Sobo and Loustaunau have done a splendid job in providing a concise, engaging, informative, and very readable introduction to the fields of medical anthropology and medical sociology. A successful synthesis of socio-behavioral science, health services, and public health knowledge which advances the field and should help to improve the quality of care and health outcomes experienced by our increasingly diverse population. This is a valuable text that I greatly enjoyed and highly recommend for use in undergraduate courses; medical, nursing, and public health schools; and other health professions training programs that are interested in transformative education that makes a difference." (Robert C. Like, MD, MS, Department of Family Medicine and Community Health, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School)
"This is a comprehensive book focused on relevant factors that influence health, illness, and well-being from multi-discipline perspectives. It is a unique book to provide health leaders and consumers refreshing new ways to know and understand cultures. It is an essential book to serve cultures in creative and effective ways. The authors provide new and diverse cultural insights about health, illness and wellness that have been woefully missing until the advent of transcultural nursing." (Dr. Madeleine Leininger, Founder of Transcultural Nursing and Leader in Culture Care Theory and Research, Professor of Nursing Emeritus, College of Nursing, Wayne State University, and author of 36 books including Culture Care Diversity and Universality Theory and Two Worlds to Blend)
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Reference
- Books > Medical Books > Administration & Medicine Economics > Health Policy
- Books > Medical Books > Administration & Medicine Economics > Public Health
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Sociology > Medicine
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine > Administration & Policy > Health Policy
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine > Administration & Policy > Public Health
- Books > Textbooks > Medicine > Administration & Policy > Health Policy
- Books > Textbooks > Medicine > Administration & Policy > Public Health
- Books > Textbooks > Medicine > Medicine > General
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Sociology