- Hardcover: 64 pages
- Publisher: Chronicle Books (April 4 2012)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 145210655X
- ISBN-13: 978-1452106557
- Product Dimensions: 17.1 x 0.6 x 17.1 cm
- Shipping Weight: 181 g
- Average Customer Review: 46 customer reviews
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #13,632 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Darth Vader and Son Hardcover – Apr 4 2012
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
The book imagines a universe where Darth Vader actually gets to raise his son Luke and it is so disarmingly charming that you really stop caring that this is an evil Sith lord. Oh, Obi-Wan, why did you spirit those children away?" -TOR.com"Do you and your Dad have a Star Wars bond? Then you're definitely going to want to nab this sweet and funny comic about Anakin & Luke Skywalker."
-E! Online"Devoted Star Wars fans will love that Brown has taken Darth Vader's lines from the movies-'I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further' - and cleverly turned them on their heads, finding the humor in both parenting and movie fandom, especially when he pokes gentle fun at the newer movies."
- ICv2.com"Darth Vader and Son is cute, and perfect for the little Star Wars fan in your life. It playfully posits the question "What if Darth Vader had actually raised Luke?" Author and illustrator Jeffrey Brown turns run-of-the-mill parenting activities into fun moments full of Star Wars references Overall, Darth Vader and Son is a fun read for adult Star Wars fans who like a good laugh, as well as for children just learning to love these characters."
Wink Books and BoingBoing"Darth Vader and Son is Brown at the top of his artistic game with beautiful full-color pages, many of which seem imbued with a sincerity that I would expect to find in his next autobiographical work, A Matter of Life. Darth Vader and Son is a book for fathers and sons and Star Wars fans and, well, pretty much anyone who enjoys happiness and smiles. "
-Comics Bulletin"Darth Vader and Son [is] a sweet mashup of Star Wars and father and son bonding"
- Chicago Tribune"But if you're one of those sad, empty few who haven't picked up Vader and Son, for yourself, a child, a Star Wars fan, a carbon-based lifeform, or anyone who likes things that are Good - do yourself a favor and pick it up, because not only it is adorable and funny, but it's also one of the best Star Wars books ever. In fact, buy two, because you're going to want to give a copy to somebody over the holidays, no question. "
-io9.com"As a Star Wars generation kid-disclaimer: the original Star Wars movies, not the prequels-this little book was pure joy. I now read it with my five-year-old daughter, who cracks up at little Luke and a much kinder, gentler Darth Vader."- Chicago Magazine"You won't find a more adorable Star Wars book this year than Darth Vader and Son. Seriously. It's a must-have for Star Wars fans of all ages, as it's not only insanely cute, it's quite humorous,"
- Geeks of Doom "You don't have to be a Star Wars fan to appreciate this tender little book."
-The Guardian (UK)"When the first Star Wars film conquered the world in 1977, no one could have possibly foreseen it going on to become such an ubiquitous part of our cultural heritage. Now even parenthood can be viewed through the filter of the Sith lord Darth Vader. Jeffrey Brown (Incredible Change-Bots) crashes headlong into George Lucas's galaxy far, far away with endearing, funny-and fully licensed-results. A series of full-page gag cartoons focusing on the 'what if?' of Darth Vader raising a four-year-old Luke Skywalker, the book twists father/son moments into scenarios within the Star Wars playground. For instance, the addition of a wailing little Luke turns the Bounty Hunter scene into, as one bounty hunter's thought balloon puts it, Awkward! Trick-or-treating, toy shopping, a day at the zoo, and more are rejiggered with a lighthearted, charming tone. However, the book also provides ample proof that adding a babysitting Darth Vader to any Star Wars situation makes it gently humorous. Brown's signature scratchy style is embellished with full color and stripped-down likenesses."- Publisher's Weekly"This is a good one for a young geek or their proud papa. "
-Ain't It Cool News"This book is hilarious, short, and sweet. I'm sure it will have a real wide range of appeal that will include both young and die-hard Star Wars ones. There's probably not wrong reason to gift this, but it would definitely make for a good Father's Day present if you really need an excuse to buy Darth Vader and Son."
- CSI: Librarian "The central conflict of 'Star Wars' looks considerably different - and much, much funnier - through Brown's eyes. "- Comic Book Resources"Hilarious it's a great book to read to your kids, but it's also a great book for adults. I find myself smiling as I turn each page."
- Forcecast.net "Mix "Star Wars" with cuteoverload.com, and you get Jeffrey Brown's adorable "Darth Vader and Son" from Chronicle Books..[it] just had me melting, "awww"-ing and/or giggling over almost every page. And I'm not even a dad.. geek dads, especially those with little kids, would totally appreciate"
-Geek Watch, DetroitNews.com"Just let me just be the first to tell you that, if you play your cards right and get him a copy, Darth Vader And Son is gonna have Dad laughing coffee through his nose this year at brunch." -Babble.com"It's fun to see Darth Vader as sort of a sensitive guy." -Los Angeles Times' Hero Complex"From potty training to lightsaber batting practice to ice cream runs, the endearing absurdity of the duo's dynamic makes for a remix treat of the most entertaining variety."- Brain Pickings"Fans of Star Wars will be entertained by this heartwarming and comical twist on the epic classic. Through vivid illustrations, author Jeffrey Brown shares the tale of Darth Vader, the hands-on, over-protective dad, who's involved in Luke's everyday activities"
- Real Simple"It is funny and sweet and the perfect stocking stuffer for Star Wars-loving dads."
- Victoria Times Colonist"
About the Author
Jeffrey Brown is the author of numerous graphic novels and comics, includingCat Getting Out of a Bag andCats Are Weird. A lifelongStar Wars fan, he lives in Chicago with his wife and five-year-old son.
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top customer reviews
The book quality is very nice, with thick, quality paper. I was very impressed with with the simple, but detailed art, that lends its own little comic jems. IE. Little Lando.
If you are a fan, buy this book quickly as it looks like the production run is small, and you will surely enjoy this as much as I did.
BTW. If you are a dad you will appreciate this book even more.....
Want to see more reviews on this item?
Most recent customer reviews
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Children's Books
- Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Comic Strips
- Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Graphic Novels > Media Tie-In
- Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Graphic Novels > Science Fiction
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Humour > Love, Sex & Marriage
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Humour > Parenting & Families
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Humour > Parodies
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Movies
- Books > Literature & Fiction > United States > Humour
- Books > Parenting & Relationships > Family Relationships > Fatherhood
- Books > Parenting & Relationships > Humour