Data Compression: The Complete Reference Hardcover – Feb 26 2004
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From a review of a previous edition: "A wonderful treasure chest of information; spanning a wide range of data compression methods, from simple text compression methods to the use of wavelets in image compression. It is unusual for a text on compression to cover the field so completely." --Computing Reviews
About the Author
David Salomon is retired professor emeritus of computer science from California State University, Northridge. He is author of numerous articles and books, including Data Compression, Third Edition, Guide to Data Compression Methods, and Data Privacy and Security.
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
If you're not looking for source code or lots of theory, and just want to know what all these dozens of algorithms actually *do*, this would be an appropriate book for you.
However, if you're interested in the concrete ideas and proofs on how the algorithms help you to compress your data, with some mathematical works, the book isn't enough. You'll find it difficult if you want to implement the algorithms by merely reading the book.
Some idea are not clearly explained too, say, the the information on Gzip is just a summary of the GNU documentation with no in-depth discussion.
Anyway, this book is a great one judging from the (sad) fact that there are not many references on the subject.
Many algorithms are touched on, but often not profound enough to allow programers to implement the methods. Also the subtitle "The Complete Reference" is questionable: I bought the book because I was looking for facts about the Elias-Willems algorithm. In vain!
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Computer Science > Information Theory
- Books > Computers & Technology > Computer Science > Software Engineering > Information Systems
- Books > Computers & Technology > Graphic Design
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Network Administration > Storage & Retrieval
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Algorithms > Compression
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Electrical & Electronics > Electricity Principles
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Telecommunications
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Computers & Internet
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Engineering
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Computer Science
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Graphics & Visualization
- Books > Textbooks > Engineering > Electrical & Electronic Engineering