- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Difference / Indifference: Musings on Postmodernism, Marcel Duchamp and John Cage Hardcover – Oct 1 1998
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Moira Roth is a legendary art historian whose writings on the unconventional lives and difficult art of Marcel Duchamp and John Cage are models of critical accessibility. Writing in an engagingly personal diaristic style, these classic essays are collected in Difference/Indiffrence.
The core of the book is provided by her two very influential and much cited essays of the 70's, Marcel Duchamp in America: A Self Ready-Made and The Aesthetic of Indifference, amplified by a series of interviews Roth conducted -- she is a virtuoso of the interview form....These talks both nuance our picture of Duchamp himself and trace the ripple effect of his work and persona upon American art in the third quarter of the 20th century. They are followed by a more personal section in which Roth in effect interviews herself, reflecting-from the distance of the present-upon her own bittersweet tale of engagement/disengagement with the Duchamp phenomenon.
Sheldon Nodelman of Art in America
About the Author
Moira Roth is the editor of The Amazing Decade: Women and Performance Art in America, 1970-1980 and Connecting Conversations: Interviews with Twenty-eight Bay Area Women Artists.
Jonathan Katz is a comedian/actor who won the 1995 Emmy Award for Outstanding Voice Over Performance as Dr. Katz on the animated series "Dr. Katz: Professional Therapist." He lives in Boston. --This text refers to the Paperback edition.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Arts & Photography > Artists, A-Z > ( D-F ) > Duchamp, Marcel
- Books > Arts & Photography > History & Criticism
- Books > Arts & Photography > Schools, Periods & Styles
- Books > Business & Investing > Skills > Communications
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Anthropology > Cultural
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Sociology
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Art History
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Anthropology
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Sociology