countdown boutiques-francophones SubscribeAndSave Home Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports tools

on October 3, 2006
My wife has just discovered an interest in photography, and she has a natural eye for it, but was lacking the instruction necessary to become better at her own pace. All of my more advanced Photoshop and photo editing books (I'm a professional illustrator and cartoonist) have proven to be quite intimidating for her, as she was just looking to get started without being overwhelmed.

I recently bought her this book and she is thrilled with it. It doesn't treat her like a child and gives her real information she can use. We have a decent point-and-shoot digital camera, and she is looking to get a digital SLR after she learns more about photography. But it's great to see her passionate about digital photography and not so intimidated by it. This book has gone a long way to easing her apprehension.

This book manages to be funny and unpretentious as well as very professional and informative. I've bought a number of Scott Kelby's books and they always hit what they aim at. This one is no exception.

There are many, many digital photography books out there. Start with this one.
on December 28, 2006
As far as my knowledge of photography is concerned, I'd say I'm between a beginner and intermediate.

I've started reading other books on photography, but I've dropped them because they were boring, and I can't stand trying to understand visual things like exposure when there are no pictures to demonstrate what the author is saying. This book is not like that at all. There is at least one picture on every page, and those pictures sum up perfectly what he's been saying.

I can't read for extended periods of time, and I'm not a fast reader, but the night I received this, I read over 70 pages, and after that, I read it every free moment I had.

It's the best book I've ever read on photography, and I would recommend it without a doubt.
on October 20, 2006
Even if you're not a camera buff or photography wiz, you'll enjoy reading this excellent book. It's not over your head and is filled with excellent advice, put forth in a no-nonsense manner. At times even funny, this is an excellent book for amateurs and professionals alike. While I normally read fiction like THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE, I picked this up on a whim--I'm not sorry and neither will you be.
on February 23, 2015
This book is more a Tips & Tricks book than a tutorial for learning about digital photography. You already have to know your camera well and how to set the various parameters for manual shooting. While I am glad I bought it, I'll have to keep it on the shelf for a while until I learned how to walk before following the book to learn how to run faster...
on May 28, 2015
Anything by Scott Kelby is GOLD
Love his recipes which allow you to reproduce his photography techniques by giving you step by step how he did it.
Also every page gives you a new recipe so it is easy to follow with out pages and pages to read.
Great for beginners and serious photographers.
on February 17, 2015
I was slightly put off by the way the book was laid out (not like the other books in this series). After going through the whole book, I found that I learned a lot just like all the others in the series. Don't expect it to be exactly in the same format and you won't be disappointed. That being said, I still liked the old format better.
on February 23, 2008
I enjoy photography and am exploring my first digital SLR camera. This book answered many of my current questions, and questions I hadn't thought of yet.

Each chapter tackles different topics like landscape photography, portrait photography, sharp pictures, printing, etc. Within each chapter, topics are covered on a single page including a sample photograph.

The book is an introduction to serious photography, addressing about 170 topics. It's very easy to read and understand. The author shows his sense of humour with oddball paragraphs and pages in the book. I enjoyed these diversions.
on December 23, 2006
I just received the book and really enjoyed going through the pages. Excellent book for someone who is just starting and wants to understand how to take pictures the right way. Very simple reading and most of all, the tricks in there are very easy to understand and do.

Thank you. Can't wait to order more books from this author.
on May 6, 2009
This book is a really easy read. I enjoyed some of the tips and samples, and the humour is great. If you're looking for really simple tips without any explanation [note that he does this intentionally], I think this is definitely a good choice. The writing style and organization was really clear and well-done, but unfortunately the information in the book sometimes verged on being of the "no-brainer" type. Overall, enjoyable...but a little simplified for my taste.
on March 8, 2014
Scott Kelby really knows how to explain things so that we can understand clearly. For the first time, there are things that I now understand ( like the f-stops ). I have two of his books and I refer to them often as I practice what he teaches. My pictures are improving. I don't have the gear that he has and I will never be a professional but I enjoy taking better pictures. He gives many tips that can help us tremendously.As an amateur photographer, I am very pleased and I am looking forward to buy his other books.Thank you Scott for writing these books.