countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Pets All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

on July 5, 2014
After 16 years of being off the air back in 1989; 9 years after the the movie attempt in 1996 and lastly 6 years after the beginning of the Big Finish Productions audio plays in 1999.(Which based on a 2013 prequel is now cannon I think it's safe to say) It's Back. Doctor Who Is BACK!... On TV that is. Gone is the 4 to 12 part serials of old; in it's place a more modern 45 min episodes / stories. Sometimes 90 minute episodes or stories if 2 parter; with updated Classic monsters and new ones. Chris Eccleston does a good job giving us a new and updated take on The Doctor. The show is kind of continuation / reboot in someways. As it still takes in to account the stories and actors that came before back in the 1960 and up Classic wise. which I find to be a huge plus in my book. The Companion is more real. Just 5 stars across the board. Must have for completists of Who and the 1st cycle. If if U not it's worth a look anyway.
on May 27, 2015
I hated and loved this doctor at the same time, wish he had lasted more than one season but oh well...and his companion is one of the two I found super hot, which is nice! The first few episodes were hard to watch but once the BBC started funneling a lot more money into the series it looked great.
on February 27, 2006
I was a huge fan of Doctor who has a kid growing up on Tom Baker. Towards the end of it's run though the show had in my view run out of magic and was a shadow of the Tom Baker ERA. With a terrible 1996 film version nailing the coffin into the series for good I never gave much thought to the possibility of a new series.
Skeptical as I was hearing that the show was being made again I decided to watch the show to see the beloved blue box travel through time. Indeed, I was curious. After watching the show on the CBC run it began to grow on me more and more. Gone were the laughable sets to a more sophisticated visually impressive slicker production.
More importantly though is the improved writing by Russell T. Davis who has made the best supporting character the show has ever had with the beautiful and exceptionally talented Billy Piper who unlike the damsel in distress is anything but in this series. The show Dalek which is the 6th episode in is the point where the show finds its true footing and begins to take off in political and social satire, the actors are in their groove and the show seems surer of itself. There are human stories here not the usual mania wants to destroy the universe repetitiveness of the older shows.
There is a lot of heart in this series and by the end of it I found myself truly caring about Rose and the Doctor.
The DVD has very clear picture excellent sound, and a lot of goodies sprinkled in like commentaries for every episode. There are 13 episodes here but in reality this would be the equivalent of 26 episodes for a normal half hour program in the old series. Each episode here is ~45 minutes. Add to this 14 segments of making of featurettes and 2-3 additional ones in each of the episode discs as well as a behind the scenes with the tenth doctor David Tennant who stars in the Christmas Special then it's a pretty fair deal.
Tom Baker is still king of the Doctors but Eccleston by the end is second best. The writing, overall cast performances, and effects are leagues better and more up to date than any I've seen from the old series. Episodes like Father's Day create genuine emotion that even a big tough guy like me had me go for a hanky.
on February 16, 2015
It was such a joy to finally get this and finally see the uncut versions of the episodes (I have previously only ever seen them on television in a cut down form to fit into the tie slot properly). I am a sucker for special features and those provided for this release satisfied me to no end. I wasgrinning ear to ear to entire time. This is an absolute must for any Whovian!
on June 9, 2013
There happened to be a marathon on TV, season 7. I like it so much I went and bought seasons 1 - 6, costly? Does it matter when it comes to finding a little enjoyment in life?

So I bought season 1 threw to 6, experiencing the different Doctors. Well I loved season 1, though I started out by seeing Matt, Christopher's style is a little different but still all of the plots are enjoyable, as well as the show it's self. And TBH I think I fell in love with Billie Piper.

But the stories are wonderful. Only bad part about it as the season one disc finished, there was a "next time" come up and it was showing a Daleks Invasion. Then it went to second season with a new doctor so I dunno what happened to that episode.

But yeah 100% enjoyment on this one.
on March 7, 2014
That's it, it's the greatest show ever.

The 9Th doctor is magnificent, and the stories are mesmerizing.

I've started to watch Doctor Who from this season, and I'm hooked to the Doctor since, you can start from there without watching the whole "classic" Doctor Who (but it's still à must to watch, nonetheless), and go one from there.

Only downside, when you're "up to date" with The Doctor, there's a great deal of waiting for the new episodes.
on August 18, 2006
When I first saw Doctor Who when I was a small girl I hated it. Not so much the series, but the music! It was so scary. So I never really watched any of the episodes, although I do remember a long scarf! However, when I happened upon a repeat of the first new series: I was hooked. Fortunately BBC3 (I live in Europe) broadcast the whole new series with 2 episodes every evening: I stayed home for it! As soon as I had seen the first series, the second series was broadcast and repeated twice in the same week. I loved it. Absolutely loved it. It had me laughing at some of the funny one-liners and at times crying at the relationship between Rose and the Doctor. I bought the box-set (well, it was a gift from my sister), and have seen all the episodes at least 3 times now. Fantastic... The only thing that does bother me? The fact that the box in which the dvd's came was already damaged before I had completely unwrapped it. I have heard of this problem for the European release more often, I hope it is not the same in Canada.

Oh, and whatever the cost: It is soooooo worth it!!
on April 19, 2016
This was previously released on Bluray as part of the special Series 1-7 set that included the sonic screwdriver remote control. I'm assuming this will be the same disc, just finally released on its own.

As others have stated, it's only an upscale from SD content. But I can say that it definitely looks better than the DVD copy my sister has. Even without there being the extra detail that a true HD show would have, it doesn't have the compression artifacts that the DVD has since they had so much more storage space to work with.
on October 19, 2013
I admit that I decided to watch Doctor Who (season 1) as one of the ways to bond with my husband and to further understand his inner world. He is a Doctor Who fanatic and recommended that I watch the first season starring Christopher Eccleston (G.I Joe: The Rise of Cobra, upcoming Thor movie) and Billie Piper (Secret Diary Of A Call Girl tv series) in order to help me get the message of the subsequent seasons. The series opens with the character of Rose unintentionally meeting “The Doctor” after an eerie encounter involving mannequins. Simon Pegg (The World’s End), John Barrowman (Torchwood tv series) and Richard Wilson (Merlin tv series) are among some of the celebrities who guest star in season 1 of Doctor Who. Simon Pegg features in The Long Game episode (#7), while Jack Barrowman and Richard Wilson first make appearances in “The Empty Child” episode (#9). Doctor Who (season 1) is great for those who are fine with watching science fiction television series involving time travel plots.
on September 12, 2012
For the most part this came to me in great condition! The disks are perfect and I received it really quickly. The only problem I have with it is that the out side cover is damaged, the plastic sleeve is smashed up and the cover behind is dented. Other than that I'm happy.