Dyer`s Garden, A: From Plant to Pot: Growing Dyes for Natural Fibers Paperback – Jan 23 2003
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
The book is a simple, easy to understand guide of the different dye plants, how to grow them (the part I found really neat is that it tells you how much space each plant needs, and the way it's done is perfect for Square Foot Gardeners like myself) and when and how to harvest them.
In addition to all of this valuable information it shows you the colors that one can expect to get and using a bunch of different fibers and mordants.
If anyone is serious about starting a dye garden, then this book should be at the top of your list.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Too often there are descriptions of what dye-plants were used to color garments, but, no examples of what those colors would look like. This book provides clear, vivid color photos on a whole range of dye-plants grown during pre-medieval, medieval, Colonial, and later times. Additionally, it shows the same dye used on different fibers, sometimes with different mordants (fixers). Fiber samples include linen, wool, silk, and cotton.
I recommend this book to people interested in making clothing from "modern" material...it gives them the best opprotunity possible to try to find close color-matches. Alternately, it provides solid information to dye cloth by hand.
Also, the low price can't be beat!
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Crafts, Hobbies & Home > Crafts & Hobbies > Needlecrafts & Textile Crafts > Dye
- Books > Crafts, Hobbies & Home > Gardening & Horticulture > Techniques
- Books > Crafts, Hobbies & Home > Gardening & Horticulture > Wild Plants
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Sociology
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Agricultural Sciences
- Books > Science & Math > Agricultural Sciences > Agronomy
- Books > Science & Math > Agricultural Sciences > Crop Science